Mic preamp for Sony DAT walkman

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prior to my DIY days I still have this item somewhere that I use to link a AKG3000 to a portable Minidisk
If your portable DAT player is a cheapie with a RCA in - the same concept applies...

Powered by 2 x 9v batteries - (you still need batteries inside the portable Minidisk. - more expensive versions actually power your minidisk for you)
Phantom power switch - 48v, XLR in, RCA out

Simple box - never opened it actually...

here is the cheap one (£200 - this was back in the days when I had money... i.e. childless)
Via Studiospares...
PASS MD-Reporter Junior
Please note that the heavy duty padded soft case is not shown in this picture Features are :- Stereo balanced mic/line inputs on Neutrik XLRs, mic gain can be set at 46dBu or 60dBu, 48 volt phantom powering, stereo mic/line output on 3.5mm jack socket (easily replaced if abused), monitoring return input on 3.5mm jack socket, powerful headphone monitoring on a quarter inch jack, monitoring switchable between source or off tape, mono switch feeds single input to both tracks, operates for hours on 2x PP3 batteries, low battery warning LED, light aluminium chassis,
Typical battery life 10-12 hours (it only powers the Mic)

here is the expensive one..
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/resources/a/asc/asc_md%20report.pdf
(£300 +)

http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/resources/catdetails/2939.pdf

If you want me to open the box to try and tell you in pidgeon electronics what they have done in the Junior module I will try this weekend...

Mmmmmm thanks, the other alternative is to use my dead D7 DAT for the preamp, then take a line out to the minidisc. Just pressing the RECORD button on the DAT switches on the preamp, then I can adjust record level on the minidisc by adjusting the line out level on the DAT! Must try that tomorrow night at the Show of Hands gig!

I forgot to mention that once the minidisc is in MANUAL record mode, it is only possible to preset the record level, which I generally guess and err on the side of caution to allow for sound engineers who turn up the level. Auto level is awful.
Stephen

Latest posts

Back