Cost-effective US-UK Mains Adaptor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

When visit Hawaii next month I'd like to be able to use some of my own gear from the UK, namely my iron + desoldering iron, which both consume around 120-Watts... The adaptors I've seen on Ebay are either too small or pro units that are expensive. Has anyone got a suggestion? The installation I'm working for don't have a variac, so I was thinking that one that steps 120v up to 240v would kill 2 birds with one stone, except that I can't find such a beast for under $500 USD...

????

Thanks in advance.

Justin

15 euro, 750 (claimed) watt:

http://cgi.ebay.at/750-watt-Step-Up-Down-Voltage-Power-Transformer-110-220_W0QQitemZ360089445538QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360089445538&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

I've used a 240v>110v site transformer (big yellow box|) wired backwards for this- I rewired it internally so you don't have to make sketchy male-to-male mains turnaround leads (cattleprods!)

These are relatively cheap, portable, and come in a variety of sizes.

I've also cobbled an autotransformer out of the split primary (0-120, 0-120) of a high-current transformer, using the centre tap as input, and top of primary as 240v output. I think it was a 12V/10A unit and it worked great for soldering iron, fan and mobile charger!

Mark

2 options..

Cheap 120V solder iron (real cheap) and solder braid or sucker, for vacation soldering...

1:2 power transformer (cheap) step up and a extension cord. You can toss it when you leave. If you do this bring the wall side end to connect your equipment, as you won't find them in the states.

Typically we use 240V in powering motors and such, but run 120V control. You would be doing the revers of that.

And you would be asking for a step down transformer from an american store 2:1 240V:120V

Latest posts

Back