What to do with a non-functional rec console?(w/o skill or $

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcharles00

hey guys,
haven't been on here in a while, but am killing some time at the moment and thought i'd broach this subject in-case anyone had any ideas..

basically, a friend and I set out to build a studio many years ago, and picked up an Amek Angela console on ebay for $2k. We drove a couple states away to get it, and once there discovered it had been stored in an unfinished garage for a couple of years. rudimentary testing showed.. not much - thinking that this was a functional board that was set up and plugged in, we didn't bring test gear.
since it was still really cheap (we thought), and we had already spent most of a day driving and rented a truck, we took it anyway.

we set it up in my basement and tried to go through the setup procedures, but stuff was too messed up. the tone generator sounded like atari's "pole position" and a couple channels released their magic smoke. i don't think we ever got actual signal to pass.

my friend who is the principal investor in this purchase has been busy with his business for many years, and my troubleshooting skills are pretty limited. (and by "pretty limited" i mean that i can check voltages and solder) at one point another guy started working on it, replaced some caps on the master section, but is now out of the picture. Neither of us have the expendable funds to have this beast tended to properly.

so... my question to you guys is are there any options here? I would love to find a tech who would fix 8 mic channels and put them in a sidecar in exchange for the rest of the board(there is a spare PSU), but i think such a person is probably fictional. are there any techs out there with the time and patience to talk a non-tech through a re-cap / troubleshooting?
anything else possible? we paid too much considering the state of this item, and i think it's preferred to let it sit rather than sell at a big loss. (since i didn't put up the money, that's not really my choice)

Latest posts

Back