Found this in Youtube's recommended videos list

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

First of all, calling anything 'The Ketchup Song" will immediately buy you five minutes of my time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzyYYZsxGc

I did a bit of research on it, trying to find the meme, and it's more interesting than I would have thought. Take a listen to the chorus and see if you can spot it. I'll give you a hint: Mondegreen

I actually did spot it the first time I listened, but I decided I was hearing things and dismissed it.

I like the girl wearing sunglasses !!!

It's a much better version that the real sanitized "Pop" one that was a hit
over here ..... I'm 99% sure it wasn't that version .

Mondegreen .... ??

Wow, what a horribly annoying song...and that hand dance makes me want to punch all three of them square in the face. :thumb:

The only thing worse than this song/video/group......is their name.

[quote author="Consul"]I did a bit of research on it, trying to find the meme, and it's more interesting than I would have thought.[/quote]

I did my master's thesis on "Rico Suave" by Gerardo. I initially found his juxtaposition of competing subtexts to be most compelling, the modern Latino serving both the roles of the strong-willed patriarch and the innocent moppet. But what really got me exited though was when I discovered that the seemingly obvious protologism in the fourth verse turned out to be argot common to remote Asian fishing communities along the Andaman Sea.

[quote author="MartyMart"]
It's a much better version that the real sanitized "Pop" one that was a hit
over here ..... I'm 99% sure it wasn't that version .
[/quote]

Maybe - I can't tell now, although it was all over the radio for about a week back in 199X. I listened to it and though it was better than I'd remembered.

I think distance makes the hart grow fonder. Or maybe it's the girls in the video...

[quote author="Emperor-TK"]I did my master's thesis on "Rico Suave" by Gerardo. I initially found his juxtaposition of competing subtexts to be most compelling, the modern Latino serving both the roles of the strong-willed patriarch and the innocent moppet. But what really got me exited though was when I discovered that the seemingly obvious protologism in the fourth verse turned out to be argot common to remote Asian fishing communities along the Andaman Sea.[/quote]

Okay, smart-ass, just for that, you have to suffer through this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCu2XMTU76s

:green:

Well, someone finally found the wikipedia entry for this song, and that explains the entire joke, or at least should explain what I found so funny: the chorus is an English to Spanish cross-language mondegreen (near-homophonic mis-heard lyric - "kiss this guy" instead of "kiss the sky") of the first line from Rapper's Delight. Listen to the chorus and see if you can hear it now.

I guess I'm alone in thinking that that's hilarious. Must be the anthropologist in me.

[quote author="Consul"]Okay, smart-ass, just for that, you have to suffer through this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCu2XMTU76s[/quote]

I LOVE IT!

I just forwarded it to a few Slovak friends. Different language, but similar enough culture for them to appreciate it.

Also, I think my mom dressed me in that suit when I was little.....

Jozin....Bazin... ricka deeka deeka dee doo....

Woh!
we had that plumbing thing when I was a babe. It was a toy that someone gave my Dad. You could connect whatever pieces together and play the plumbing. My first musical memory is playing along S&G's "The Boxer". I remember it being much bigger than the pic.
And it looks to me like the dude is humming into a brass snifter of some sort. Yes, I watched to the end copyright, which I just couldn't bear doing for the Ketchup song :green:
Mike

Latest posts

Back