Alternative panel marking

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter purpose

Gentlemen,
I have always been disappointed with the panels I make, so thought I would try etching one...... not bad, but could be better. Still... much better than my usual sharpie marked nonsense.

peter

aud1.jpg

aud2.jpg

Well.....
It can of course only be done on bare metal, but I just did it with press n peel as you would with a pcb. You have to get plenty of heat into the panel before applying the pnp, but it's pretty much the same.

peter

So you're etching with pcb etchant? (sorry, haven't worked with pnp before)

ju

You said bare metal, meaning if your panel has anodize on it, no worky, correct ( this is for those playing the home game) :green:

As professor Stanley Unwin might have said:

Anodizey alumination tufflode of a coatey. Etchey fluid motion sittymost on the surf there, all full o' vinegold: -phhhtuh, ffftuh!

Sandy down the alumey with a great greasey elbold before etchasketch can find proof of purchase.

Peatey purpold, All time some time deep joy of a behold for your panel of expert.

Keef

thanky keef,

Allright, now everyone knows the next question.

What is the photo resist that they coat pcb boards with, and where can you get it in liquid form?

ju

Etching aluminum is fun:
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/6425/etched_box.jpg
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/1622/etched_box_detail.jpg

Standard Hammond box (like for guitar stompbox fx), sprinkled with paint using a spray can with the head only slightly pressed in to produce big drops, letting dry, etching in FeCl, removing paint with thinner, using a plastic brush to clean the etched areas a bit. After taking the photos i filled the etched areas (dark grey in the pics) with green paint, looks way better now. Excuse the crappy pics. The text/logo looks really great btw.

Just delurking, passing on another easy wild finishing method and relurking...
;Matthias

Peter - whooah!! - has this got me thinking...
Can I do this - or have I got the wrong side of the coin....

Design my whole front panel in a drawing program
Laser print it onto those blue A4 photo resist sheets
Iron the photo resist onto the front panel
Paint on chemical etching stuff
Listen to Ogdens Nut Gone Flake for 10 minutes (Deep Joy.... How's your Berts lumbago?)
Rub off and enjoy....

next problem how to etch resist on a paint job....

Latest posts

Back