Sifam meter scales - can you change them?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob_gould

I'm currently looking at meters for the 33609 project, and forum member Uwe kindly pointed me in the direction of black face, white pointer, 0-20 dB scale Sifams, as used in the original 33609.

However, I can't bring myself to pay what turns out to be nearly £80 each for them, when Canford offers the standard AL19WF (white face, 0-100 scale) for only £20ish

So, my question is whether or not it's possible to change the scales in the AL19 meters myself? I have trawled this forum and the internet looking for info on this but can't seem to turn anything up.

Thanks!

Rob

Hi Rob

just a coupla thoughts , someone please correct me if I'm wrong..

If the expensive black meters you are referring to are sifam ppm14's , then they're the same as those used in the ssl comp . They come with a standard ppm scale , and , yes they can be opened up and a new scale fitted. Delicate work , but just a couple of tiny screws to undo , pretty easy..

I think NRG frank's site has the correct ssl scale..

Those AL audio level meters are 'sort of 'VU substitutes....I'm assuming you need a linear scale for that project... if so , then probably the AL wouldn't be right..

If you look at the whole sifam range on their own pdfs , they also do a 'presentor' range , which can be got in a linear scale.

I got one direct from sifam , spec'd the same as the ppm14 , but cheaper ..similar-ish size, front mounting enclosed bezel etc, linear 1mA . Still was about £60 tho...

..and next time round , I just went for the ppm14 , because the meter face is slightly more readable from across the room , than the presentor.

Cheers

nEon.

Thanks for the reply Neon.

Sorry - I didn't make it clear above. AL19WF is what Igor specified for this project, and the meters that I talked about with black face and white pointer are AL19WFs too. They are not a different model.

You see now why I'd like to try and find an alternative to paying an extra £50ish per meter for what is essentially cosmetic changes.

The other thing that ties me into the AL19WFs is the cut outs on the cases Purusha supplied.

Cheers,

Rob

[quote author="rob_gould"]

The other thing that ties me into the AL19WFs is the cut outs on the cases Purusha supplied.

Cheers,

Rob[/quote]

Just buy the AL19WF & glue a PPM scale to it. If you make the scale white rather than black it looks quite good against the royal blue of the case.

[quote author="bernbrue"]Hi,
have a look here at Franks site.
http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/vumeter.html
regards
Bernd[/quote]

this scale from frank is not the right for a AL19WF mA meter!

DSC03906o.jpg

Top - original 33609 (issue 12) - Sifam Director 14 series...
Bottom - DIY 33609 with Presentor AL19WF black dB scale + white needle

Here in the US the price for regular white 0-100 meter and the inverted black dB one is the same (around 30GBP), so I don't know why in the UK the price would be that much different. The problem is that these meters are backordered and not gonna be in stock for another month...

i have the AL19WF meters, but the 100ma scale. i don't know
if its possible to paint the needle with a white paint stick.
i will try to draw the black dB scale.

i have a little problem with the meter scales. i can't copy-paste the scale
from frank, because the scaling is not the right.

promixe, can you give me please a front shot of you AL19WF Sifam scale?

promixe, can you give me please a front shot of you AL19WF Sifam scale?

Yes, sorry, was out of town, just got back!

Here it is:

DSC03975o.jpg

A bit blurry but should be a good reference to redraw in Illustrator or something...

Back