Request: 33609 audio samples (pleeease?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiovisceral

I am familiar with just about every project running on this site, but I have never had the pleasure of hearing a 33609. Would anyone who has one care to post any mp3s to demo the sound? Anything would be fine - kick, snare, guitar, vocal ...

If so, it would be very appreciated, and thanks in advance. :guinness: :sam: :green:

http://megaupload.com is a quick easy place to upload/share.

Go to UADs site. They made a UAD model that everyone says sounds like the hardware. And they have samples up.

Oh, here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHadtJWRRiY
http://www.uaudio.com/products/software/neve33609/index.html

Can't help you with an mp3 but I do have the UAD version and it's a VERY
nice model indeed !
"Just like the real thing ?" - possibly not, but if the "real" one is anything like
the plugin , then it's a real beauty :)
It's fully endorsed by Neve - who helped UAD with it, so it can't be too shabby.

MM.

Give me a few seconds to sort something out, and then I'll give you access to some samples...

Ok, I think it's sorted out now.

Anyone who's interested can PM me and I'll send back access info. Drum kit run through both vintage Neve 33609's and the UAD one. They're played back in random order, so you won't know which is which. 16/44.1 and 24/88.2.....

Oh, and for those who listen, I'd love to hear what you think - post it here...

[quote author="mattiasNYC"]Ok, I think it's sorted out now.

Anyone who's interested can PM me and I'll send back access info. Drum kit run through both vintage Neve 33609's and the UAD one. They're played back in random order, so you won't know which is which. 16/44.1 and 24/88.2.....[/quote]

awesome and i'll pm for sure, but for these types of a/b's you really have to run BOTH through the d/a a/d conversion/degradation to get a fair comparison. ie. send the plug compressed version out and in just for the sake of equality. otherwise a person's pref might just be for/against your soundcard. :guinness:

also as a side note, re: pm's, you have only space for one in your sentbox, so do you have to keep deleting in order for other messages to go through? and how do you make messages send when they're sitting in your outbox?

As far as the comparison goes, there are plenty of factors to consider, and I'll be the first to acknowledge that all have not been "taken care of". My memory is a bit foggy on the procedure but I think it was something like this:

Record the live drums into PT HD at 24/88.2. They were then sent to an aux. That aux then had the "live" Neve on an insert.

Once I had a compression setup I liked, I ran a signal (sine) through the same chain and adjusted its gain (before insert) until the meter showed an easy to read amount of gain reduction, verifiable once back in PT.

The next step was to take that same signal and send it to the insert with the "fake" Neve and set the it to give the same amount of reduction. Then record that as well.

So yes, there is obviously one extra step of conversion involved for the "live" version. But even if I did run the non-live version through the ADAC, one signal, going either in or out, would have had a different strength compared to the "live" version. And most converters aren't linear, so there'd still be a discrepancy. Would it have been "closer"? Arguably yes.

I think it's best to simply consider it to be a test between two ways of working, where some parameters have been dealt with and some haven't.

The reason I'm using PM is that I don't want to make the FTP address "public". I'll live with the inconvenience.

[quote author="mattiasNYC"]
I think it's best to simply consider it to be a test between two ways of working, where some parameters have been dealt with and some haven't.[/quote]

close enough for sure.

but i'm looking at your folder and i don't quite understand:

File:AcousticTest_16441.wav 16466 KB 5:52:00 PM
File:AcousticTest_24882.wav 49331 KB 5:51:00 PM
File:Drumkit_A.wav 32004 KB 6:55:00 PM
File:Drumkit_B.wav 32004 KB 6:56:00 PM
File:Drumkit_C.wav 32004 KB 6:53:00 PM
File:Drums_Moderate16441.wav 29841 KB 6:21:00 PM
File:Drums_Moderate24882.wav 89518 KB 6:28:00 PM

so the 16 bit files are from one of the two 'neves' and the 24 bit files are from the other? what's kit a,b,c?

Sorry, that's actually not the right folder and that's why it's confusing. That stuff isn't supposed to be there. The folder is called "secure3".

Either way though, listen to the "Drums_Moderate" tracks. Those were the ones I meant to hand out for listening.

[quote author="mattiasNYC"]The folder is called "secure3".

Either way though, listen to the "Drums_Moderate" tracks. Those were the ones I meant to hand out for listening.[/quote]

cool. sorry. so:

one is hardware, one is software?

[quote author="audiovisceral"][quote author="mattiasNYC"]The folder is called "secure3".

Either way though, listen to the "Drums_Moderate" tracks. Those were the ones I meant to hand out for listening.[/quote]

cool. sorry. so:

one is hardware, one is software?[/quote]

No. One is 16bit 44.1kHz, while the other is "high-res". Each file contains the same material, basically a couple of fills and a simple beat, but then processed with either the real Neve or the UAD one. They are lined up in "random" order, so you won't know what you're listening to, or even if the second time you hear the drums it is different from the first, or the fifth from the fourth, etc. So the order could be A B A B A B.... or it could be A A A B A B B... etc...

So you're really only left with your ears to judge what's what and if you like it.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about it.....

I have an original "C" is someone wants to send me samples to compare their DIY samples but the test would have a few variables as far as converters and wiring. I do have an Apogee Rosetta 800 and 96 i/o which are fairly common.

These types of tests always give me a headache. It’s a 'slick' audio salesman technique – a/b anything a few times, the ear fatigues, and they start to blend. Pro Tools does the same thing to sell plugs on their site. Good for sales; not so good for gauging real-world usefulness. Drives me nuts. But I'll give it a go.

Listening on laptop speakers (gear is at a diff location).

000 A hardware
019 B uad
043 B
100 A
117 B
138 A
158 B
216 A
235 B

?

I can't tell. They all blur.

[quote author="babyhead"]http://www.mbrauer.com/articles/tapeop.asp?pp=1

It really is great on guitars...[/quote]

what a bizarre way of working. basically 4 parallel aux buses and minimal track to track processing, huh? strange ...

[quote author="guavatone"]I have an original "C" is someone wants to send me samples to compare their DIY samples but the test would have a few variables as far as converters and wiring. I do have an Apogee Rosetta 800 and 96 i/o which are fairly common.[/quote]

I don't have access to any raw wavs where I am but I would love to hear the unit on anything you typically use it on. If you could post a 30 second before and after clip of anything at all with 3-6 db of reduction so I can hear the general tone/vibe it adds, that's what I am mostly hoping for.

I'm thinking about building one, but I can see they're not cheap/easy, so I want to get a decent idea what I'd be getting first.

:guinness:

Latest posts

Back