question about earth grounding / outlet grounding

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dramadisease

so i have my old VM stereo that serves its purpose well - and works resonably clean when connected to earth ground... and not that great when not connected.
i just moved into a different room in my house with no grounded outlets.
any ideas on how exactly i can 'simulate' a ground reference?

thanks much!

-bryan

have you tried touching the ground pin to one of the screws fastening the socket to the wall? Sometimes this is a solution, sometimes not. Make sure the screw isnt painted... If it works you can sometimes find a ground lifter plug that has a metal tab on it for exactly this purpose, which you can screw into the outlet.

dave

you can sometimes find a ground lifter plug that has a metal tab on it for exactly this purpose, which you can screw into the outlet.

Beat me to it!

I've had success doing this, so I would imagine that if the wiring in your place is done correctly this method should solve the problem.

Zach

the metal circle? thats ground?

Yes, and it should line up with the center screw in the cover plate when used in the top outlet of a duplex receptacle. When screwed in, that should give you a ground connection. Again, that all depends on whether or not the wiring in your residence is done correctly. I'm not an electrician, and I'm sure others here can and will give you a better explanation, but I believe this is an acceptable solution.

Zach

Back