S800 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purusha said:
Good job Andy!!!

I admit, I could made a bit deeper cases... would not heart.  :)

I am starting on the power supply for my 8 Channel s800, and I am thinking on making external. There just isn't a lot of room in there.

natek said:
Very Nice Job! Let us know how it sounds... what will its purpose be a drum set EQ! ? :D

I love how musical this eq is, and this has been built with drums in mind :) my Audix console has really wide fixed point top and bottom and switchable upper and lower mids.. all good but it's very BBC safe and subtle. These do a little more damage.

sintech said:
I love how musical this eq is, and this has been built with drums in mind :)

Perfect thats what i was hoping you would say! It looks just right to be set up after an 8 channel Pre unit with the dums all running thru the pres then into the eq before tape! :) Very nice background racks by the way show us the racks back there some time!

Would someone be kind enough to answer what is probably a dumb question.

I'm looking in my mouser catalog, trying to figure out what Molex connectors to order. I'm baffled  ???  Used them a couple of years ago on a GreenPre project but don't remember which kind. Looks like the through holes in the PCB are 3.5mm apart for the XLR connections and 5mm apart for the power connection. I don't understand the technical data, as it is laid out and none of the pin sizes seem to measure up correctly

Also, now that I think of it. Can someone recommend a Toroidal tranny. I had planned on using a Dagnall like the one I used in my GreenPre but it is no longer available at Newark.

Thanks

Kaspar

Kaspar,
The 5.08 mm connectors are also .2 inches and the others are .125 or someting.  I had to drill the holes a little bigger to get mine to fit.  

Hey everyone... just starting to source my parts for my dual EQ. Two questions (one is about the toroid, don't flame me!) 

The only thing that gets me is the power trafo. I know there were someone mentioned using a 30VA, but if I counted up correctly, the all the ICs together use about 13mA (typical) to 26mA (MAX ) per channel (supply current)... if I read the datasheets right. Does that mean I could use a 2x15V 10VA trafo? Shouldn't this do 333mA per side? If that's correct, counting any other losses, that should be enough for two channels, right?  This is the first time I'm trying to calculate this and I would like to be sure.

Also, I just re-downloaded the docs from the gmail acct and saw that joel wrote "I'll ask Peter to add the traces, component layout, and overlay drawings shortly." Can/will these be made available? I'm going to order some parts from overseas and realize it will be cheaper to buy in quantity, so what to do with the leftovers than build more channels?  8)

10va should be more than enough.... I can't seem to find the current draw, but Peter mentioned that the S800 draws less than the Green pre... and you can power 8 channels of that from a 15va.  If someone knows how much the S800 draws, I'd like to know as well.

Also, might wanna check out Colin's kits at AML.... just got mine in the mail... everything's there but the PSU parts, tranny and switches... good stuff!! ;D

Thanks for the reply. The only thing apparently drawing current are the ICs here. And the 71s draw next to nothing, the 5532 a hair more than nothing, that is, if I read the datasheet correctly. I looked at supply current?.?.?.?

I didn't know you could power 8 greens on 15VA! that's pretty cool!

I did get my pots from Colin but the rest of the stuff didn't make sense at the time. I have the resistors and some caps already... I would have liked to get some of those lytics he sells just because they look really cool, but it's easier for me to order from TAW... I get other stuff from there too.

peterc said:
I would use a 50VA part for an 8 channel unit

Peter

Davo, Peter suggested 50VA for an 8 channel unit, 15VA feels a little light for this duty

My apologies, I stand corrected!! :-\

In the Green pre thread, he says that a 30va will work for 8 channels, don't know where I got 15 from... 50 is probably
the better bet all around

peterc said:
Would this transformer work for power for 2 channels of green?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=122-605

Looks good to me. Will work for up to 8 channels.....

Peter

That's got me worried..... will 7VA be enough for a stereo unit... probably have to get some 10va traffos

Yeah, seemed a bit low... Still, I think the 7VA would be OK for this, but I'm not 100% sure.. It should do 2x 15V @ 230mA, right? Anyway, I hope someone chimes in to verify my "math" ... does this circuit only use 13-26mA per channel?

Peter was kind enough to answer an email about this: ;D

"I estimate about 50mA per rail, about 2.4VA per board.

Once you have done it, with both channels powered & LEDs lit, check the voltage before the regulators & make sure it is at least 2V more than the regulated voltage."

That's awesome.. So a 10VA, 2x15V should be more than adequate. Even 7VA should be fine.

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find the PCB layout and schematic for this EQ project (if it was ever available - I would understand if it was not made common knowledge).

Thanks,

Paul

solderspongebob said:
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find the PCB layout and schematic for this EQ project (if it was ever available - I would understand if it was not made common knowledge).

Thanks,

Paul

Peter C has boards for these... his web page is:  http://1176neve.tripod.com/id15.html

mitsos said:
That's awesome.. So a 10VA, 2x15V should be more than adequate. Even 7VA should be fine.

;D Yeah, quite happy bout that one... almost bit myself by savin a couple bucks

RE:LED's

I want to use blue LED's in the channel indicator and a red one for power.
Because of the different forward voltage and mA will I need a resistor in seriers on the blue LED's?

The power LED will def need one (I calculated 500R) because it is sitting directly on the power rail.

am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks chaps!

No need to adjust the 1K5 resistor on the BYPASS LED's, sub RED for BLUE and you will be fine. You will need one on the POWER LED, I'd also up it a bit, maybe closer to 1K, can't do you any harm.

Cheers

Matt

matta said:
No need to adjust the 1K5 resistor on the BYPASS LED's, sub RED for BLUE and you will be fine. You will need one on the POWER LED, I'd also up it a bit, maybe closer to 1K, can't do you any harm.

Cheers

Matt

I had a debate earlier about hanging a 115v lamp off the mains instead of an LED.
I am considering this as I like the idea of a bigger on lamp.

What voltage LED's are you using for the channels?

Cheers and I apologize in advance

Latest posts

Back