S800 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

Here are some pics of the final 8 channel, in all its glory.

Racked_Front.jpg

Racked_Insides2.jpg

Racked_Rear.jpg

Almost 400 off board wires in that box!!!! Not a project I want to tackle again soon...

Matt

3nity said:
Isnt all tha wiring too near the AC??

That job looks very good!

No DEAD quiet, and I mean DEAD! I was worried about putting the trafo in the box, but it is quiet.
I'm a stickler for noise as my many threads will show, and this has to be one of the quietest piece I have.

I find the opamps themselves are more likey to pick up noise/hum from stray EMF, hence me moving the PCB's them as far away as possible from the torrid.

Cheers

Matt

These boards aren't very susceptible at all to noise.  My toroid is even closer than Matt's, and mine are dead quiet as well.

Nice work Matt.  I need to find some of those standoffs.  You got them locally, I presume.

I see you didn't use the Green PSU either.

Sig

Siegfried Meier said:
These boards aren't very susceptible at all to noise.  My toroid is even closer than Matt's, and mine are dead quiet as well.

Nice work Matt.  I need to find some of those standoffs.  You got them locally, I presume.

I see you didn't use the Green PSU either.

Sig

Hey Sig,

I used a pair of MNATS's psu's that I had lying around. They too are stacked on each other, each PSU feeding 4 channels... that way if oen ever goes down Ill still ahve 4 units working  ;) I can't imaging having to fit 2 x PeterC PSU's in there, that space is cramped!!!

RE the standoff's yeah got them at my local electronics shop, 30mm high.

Matt

Siegfried Meier said:
But, the Mnats PSU COULD handle 8 channels, no? 

And you didn't take your regulators off board - heat was good enough to not have to?

Yes, it COULD, but then I would have to take the regs off board. Now I just have standard To-220 heatsinks on the regs that are only powering 4 channels each (the other benifit of 2 PSU's... less current draw per PSU), therefore less heat build up. They are hot to the touch but seem to be handling things well and no need to take them off board.

Matt

3nity said:
So theres not a problem powering 2 supplys from a single p.transformer?
Thanks.

Not if it is big enough, mine is 50VA, more than enough for 8 channels.  The PSU is only going to draw the current it needs, so you just need to make sure that transformer can supply the juice. I saw it done in my old Valley People PR-10 10 rack the same way, 2 separate PSU's from a single trano, each suppling 5 modules with power.

Matt

MikoKensington said:
Matt.  That build is most impressive.  You should build one for me, tonight.  You can do that, right? 

If you night has about 60 hours in it, maybe, LOL... prob one of the most time consuming jobs I've EVER done! Easy to do, just time consuming!

Matt

awesome job matt! (thumbs and beers)
i've only built the two channel which was a breeze, but eight channels look downright daunting.  how you got everything so tidy and pro looking is a testament of your DIY abilities.  i thought you were building this into somekind of sidecar or something. :eek:
regards,
grant

dissonantstring said:
awesome job matt! (thumbs and beers)
i've only built the two channel which was a breeze, but eight channels look downright daunting.  how you got everything so tidy and pro looking is a testament of your DIY abilities.  i thought you were building this into somekind of sidecar or something. :eek:
regards,
grant

Well at this rate it could have been a console! I have built 4 x 2 channel units for friends and local studios, this 8 channel was for myself, financed from the 4 units... until another friend spotted it and claimed it!!!! Now I have to build another one for msyelf... which will bring the total of 24 channels of S800 Eq's!!!! Yikes!!!

I'm in NO RUSH to embark on this project in a hurry!!!

Matt

matta said:
Hey Guys,

Here are some pics of the final 8 channel, in all its glory.

Racked_Front.jpg

Racked_Insides2.jpg

Racked_Rear.jpg

Almost 400 off board wires in that box!!!! Not a project I want to tackle again soon...

Matt

looks amazing, what did you use for a transformer and power supply?

To be honest I am a little intimidated by all the wiring... I may sell my case off

Power supplies are MNAT's, Torrid is a Nuvotem that I bought from RS,  2 x 0-18VAC, total 50VA rating. Re selling the case... might be an option if you are not up the the long haul... I've thought about doing so with my 2nd unit... it really ate up alot of time building this sucker offboard.

Matt

looks awesome with those black knobs, glad you didn't want the sifams  ;)

Where's the inside shots? I wanna see your pretty wiring.

GUts:::
s800liduz3.jpg

s800gutzhp1.jpg

The only tip worth mentioning is the fact that, when using Purusha's case, the boards are
upside-down with all the contacts too close to the case top for my comfort.
I Masked the inside of the top panel with electrical tape to avoid any shorts.
Better safe than sorry...

Any comments or critiques are more than welcome...thanks again matey's!!

I'm def gonna humble myself with this one:
So the build is finished (obviously) and I finally got around to fully testing the circuit and to my surprise,
the signal is freakin distorted. Both sides (but the right channel passes much more distorted signal than the left). All frontpanel functions seem to work as the heavily distorted mash is affected accordingly when engaging the pots and switches.
I measured at the point where power hits the channel PCB:
channel 1 vdc at the eq board: 15.07 / -15.14
channel 2 vdc at the eq board: 15.07 / -15.14
....so....
maybe a wrong value resistor somewhere? fried a cap or IC?

Before I go component by component to see where things aren't working right, does anyone have an idea of where I could look first?

Cheers as always!

Back