S800 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick one:
I have lined my S800 up using a Neutrik A1 (fully balanced +4dB in -> +4dB out) but when it comes to use it on an insert point I loose roughly 6dB .
how do you usually wire your insert cables?

After I had a look at the S800 schematic I wired mine by shorting Pin 3 to ground (PIN 2 is hot for me of course) AT THE INPUT ONLY and left the output "floating" (PIN 3 disconnected).

Yet I have this 6db drop in level, just level no lost of low end or anything like that.

any thoughts?

Best,
Mattia.

Mattia,

Does your console have BALANCED insert points? MANY/MOST don't, and run unbalanced, so you are going to get a level drop from the console side into the EQ.

To test this theory, take one of the BALANCED channels OUT an output of your soundcard back into your DAW and use a signal generator and check if you get a level drop here... my guess is much like the A1, you won't.

This then leave me to suspect the console is the culprit.

Cheers

Matt

mata_haze said:
Quick one:
I have lined my S800 up using a Neutrik A1 (fully balanced +4dB in -> +4dB out) but when it comes to use it on an insert point I loose roughly 6dB .
how do you usually wire your insert cables?

After I had a look at the S800 schematic I wired mine by shorting Pin 3 to ground (PIN 2 is hot for me of course) AT THE INPUT ONLY and left the output "floating" (PIN 3 disconnected).

Yet I have this 6db drop in level, just level no lost of low end or anything like that.

any thoughts?

Best,
Mattia.

peterc said:
If you short one of the inputs to gnd you will lose 6dB of gain

Peter

It seems he shorted it POST trying to use the unit as an insert, unless I read it wrong? Which means the gain loss it happening before it reaches the Eq?

Matt

matta said:
Does your console have BALANCED insert points? MANY/MOST don't, and run unbalanced, so you are going to get a level drop from the console side into the EQ.
no the console I am using does not have balanced insert points.

Peter said:
If you short one of the inputs to gnd you will lose 6dB of gain
I have indeed wired the male XLR on the insert cable (SEND and therefore input of the EQ) shorting PIN 3 to ground (cold side), if I did otherwise (leaving PIN 3 floating)the level would be much less.

the RETURN XLR on the insert cable (output of the S800) has been left with PIN 3 "floating" => not connected to ground.

I did also try to bypass the unit (S800) to confirm the cable was ok by just connecting the two insert XLR together and it works perfectly...

the other test I did was to conncect the output of the S800 (using a balanced caable) to another channel line input (set at unity gain) to see how much signal I would have had and I get  0dB: which is correct.

Best,
Mattia.

Mattia

Try wiring the return XLR like this:

XLR pin2 to hot on insert return
XLR pin 3 to cold on insert return
XLR pin 1 not connected.

It might give some level back.

REgards
Peter

Peter said:
Mattia

Try wiring the return XLR like this:

XLR pin2 to hot on insert return
XLR pin 3 to cold on insert return
XLR pin 1 not connected.

It might give some level back.

REgards
Peter

I'll try it and let you know.

Many thanks,
Mattia.

Hey folks, I got a problem to sort out.  I fired up the eq's today, one channel works perfectly, the other one, not so much.  There was what I would call a really loud pulse or metronome sound in the signal.  As I turned the trim pot down the pulse sped up, I could here the audio signal underneath being affected by the eq, but it was very quiet.  When I muted the signal going to the eq the pulse stopped with the audio. 

Here's what I've tried so far...

-visually comparing the component side of the two boards, all looks well, but I can be rather unobservant.
-tried swapping the IC's between the two boards, managed to break one of the leg's but not solve the problem.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, but in the mean time if anyone has any advice or trouble shooting tips, hook a brother up!

got 'er sorted, two bits of solder were a little too close.  :-[

These sound fantastic, totally killer on DI bass.  Thank you so much Peter and Collin for developing this project, and Matt for fielding so many questions!

I'm in the middle of building the box with 8 and I'm getting +12db louder from the output? Other than that it behaves normal. This occures so far on the four that I've finished so far. I doublechecked the output 47k resistors. I'm using the AML kit, which by the way is super. Any idea anyone?

Christian

Engfelt2000 said:
I'm in the middle of building the box with 8 and I'm getting +12db louder from the output? Other than that it behaves normal. This occures so far on the four that I've finished so far. I doublechecked the output 47k resistors. I'm using the AML kit, which by the way is super. Any idea anyone?

Christian

Christian,

Have you the onboard gain trimmer to reflect unity gain? I'm almost 100% sure from your description therein lies your problem. By default those trimmers are set higher, reflecting a much hotter output... read back a few pages and I discuss how to set the trimmer.

Cheers

Matt

hi guyz!
Could someone post a high res pic of the PeterC's PSU (completed)?
I have a bom mentioning 100nF 50V & 10µF 35V being lythics...Is that correct??(I do not use 48v for this project)
As you know I'm noob  , I just compare with 9k or 1176 psus which use film or ceramic caps.So I though I should ask before soldering.
By advance , many thanks.

Edit : I imagine 10µF are lytics.If 100nF are lytics too where're the + ?? Are 10µF 25V good (towards 35V) ??

Thanks for your reply Matt. I allready tried the trimmer, but I only got it down a couple of dBs.  *Hmm .. I'll look at it again.

Christian

matta said:
Engfelt2000 said:

Christian

Christian,

Had to set the onboard gain trimmer to reflect unity gain? I'm almost 100% sure from your description therein lies your problem. By default those trimmers are set higher, reflecting a much hotter output... read back a few pages and I discuss how to set the trimmer.

Cheers

Matt

Latest posts

Back