S800 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoping it's a on/on 3pdt , check with this schemo:(see attached Matta's file)

Attachments

• 3DPT-Switch.jpg
    3DPT-Switch.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 70
try step by step adding AOP one by one , swap them if necessary...
The strange thing is that you told me your eq was perfectly working but the led , right?did you check with another led ?

I don't know yet if the EQ is working ! Voltages are ok, wiring is ok, caps values and orientation are ok (except the doubt I have for the 100nF caps).
3PDT is "on/on", and I've already checked with this schemo.
I will try step by step adding and swapping AOP.
Thanks for your help.

Ok guys, first of all : IT WORKS  ;D !

I powered up, checked again the voltages, values, orientation, wiring, everything was find but the ICs became too hot to be touch after 15 sec and the LED started blinking again ! So I unplugged the ICs and started putting them one by one, waiting for each one to see if it becomes hot and after one or two swapping, it worked ! No ICs too hot anymore, no blinking LED, and a working unit.

And I discovered something weird at the very end, when everything worked : one of the IC is different. I've got 5 TL071 (plugged in U1 to 5) and 1 NE5322 (plugged in U6). So, maybe very dumb question : Is it normal ? I always thought that this unit works only with TL071 because this thread talks only about them but, was I missed something ? If yes, then I'm stupid and I only plugged ICs to the wrong places. If not, then it's weird, isn't it ?  ???

Thanks to everyone for having helped me.

Ben.

Thanks Peter for the kind word. I hope I will do a loooong DIY road ! Next step, finish my EZ 1290 and put it in the same box in order to make a small "channel strip" ! I'll post pictures.

Ben

hi guys!
i know the s800 is modeled after the Trident s80 eq. is it the same circuit of the original?
i hear that Trident A range is a top class console, while the s80 was a good console.
is there so much of a difference? do they sound the same?
is this eq good for tracking?
how does it sound?

thanks

thanks Peter!

do you  guys think that's a good sounding eq for tracking?
i know i'm breaking balls, but 

"can someone upload 2 files,like origianal and eq'ed?"
that would be so AWESOME!
i know it's a cheap project, but i must seriously watch my finances.
thanks

Tungstengruvsten said:
just got mine up and working and the LMF is off in it's frequencies(but starts at the right bottom frequency) ...and displays a weird waveform compared to the HMF - here's some AP curves....

HMF

LMF

It seems that the available boost and cut goes down as the frequency of the LMF goes up...anyone seen this before?  Is this normal for these? part of their sound?  because they sound frickin' awesome on guitars!  

Hey man, I just had a chance to sweep one of my channels and I got the same exact results as you did.

I did some more sweeps and posted here: http://blog.benlindell.com/?p=75

Is it weird that the highpass filter works regardless of bypass?

do you  guys think that's a good sounding eq for tracking?
i know i'm breaking balls, but 

It works well on drums.
Yesterday I tried to record guitars on it and couldn't get anything satisfactory.

I'd say it's a good but not great eq.

benlindell said:
Is it weird that the highpass filter works regardless of bypass?

Yes, that's weird.  The HPF on all of mine (10-channels) works perfectly.

I designed the S800 project (and by 'designed' I mean stole it directly from the Series 80 channelstrip drawings), because it is a revered eq that requires no esoteric parts (other than, perhaps, the dual-gang 100k reverse log pots).  Low parts cost and great performance makes this a great project.  I used to have some Trident EQ's and missed them badly after selling them, so I wanted to build some.

They are not the slickest EQ's around (GML ain't worried), but there is something unique and magical about them.  Quite honestly, if I were to build them again, I'd load half with 10k pots with a couple of resistors to reduce the total amount of available cut and boost, as it doesn't take much to get where you want to go with these.  Pretty heavy-handed stuff, but I love them on drums!  Also enjoy them (used gently) on electric guitars.  It's pretty raw stuff, but a nice, aggressively musical character that's cool on rock stuff.  It's one of those designs with a 'sound'... some love it, others won't.

As for the design itself, the only place I wandered from the original was in adding the balanced output.  On the console channelstrip the HPF is followed by a polarity inverting stage and then a pair of transistors feeding an unbalanced direct out.  I didn't care for the inverting stage and wanted a balanced out, so I added it, and that was that.

FWIW the 22u/16v caps are, I believe, tantalums in the consoles.  Colin's kits used electros, IIRC, which is cool, but a little less color as a result.  Mine have electros.  I may swap for the tants at some point, but have too many other things to do first.

JC

Hi ,
BenLindell , did you use Omeg pots from Collin?Aren't they 300°??Your FP looks like you designed 270° scale for pots,is there a reason?If yes : why?
Thanks.

Back