SPL Supra OP-Amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthias

what do you think of about??

just "good marketing" or a real innovation...??

In the MMC 1 SPL?s new SUPRA operation amplifiers are used throughout. They operate at 120 V operating voltage. During a four-year period, SPL has researched this discrete operation amplifier, until the basis of a new generation of analogue audio technology was found. The SUPRA operation amplifier obtains a signal-to-noise ratio of 116dB with an headroom of 34dB. The dynamic range amounts to 150dB with a frequency bandwidth ranging to 200kHz.

http://www.spl-usa.com/MMC1/in_detail.html

34dB headroom sounds good, or not?
But who needs that? :roll: I think the 990c can handle 24dBu@24V which is pretty much.
However the guys who choose 11cm thick 1000Kg glass for their control room windows, build their studio on springs from trucks and wants an isolation of 100dB... (galaxy/belgium) have a complete mastering console from SPL (and other stuff) so the stuff isn't that bad? :green:
The head designer of SPL has shown me the opamp (see picture). They told me that they're using special transistors... from a supplier who only sells to special clients... maybe a bit vodoo?! :wink: Looks pretty much standard for me. (only the components were choosen to run with +/-60V)
I think the opamps were used in other products of spl, too. Maybe someone can glance to an opamp in his gear? :roll:

sssssupra.jpg

So they are simply scaled-down-current power amplifiers? What's the fun about that? Do anyone actually need to drive 45V RMS into anything (other than drummer's headphones)?

Or are there other benefits from running these high voltages? Higher linearity perhaps?

Jaokb E.

Highly market-hype-able. When you go into your super-dooper Apogee converter what can you have, 5V or so? Also no amplifier/speaker will reproduce that dynamic range as far as I know (not that I know much).
Perhaps if it played some part of a tube system, that is more voltage based, it could be useful. :?: Dunno.

Tamas

Tomorow I will receive an S#P#L Gainstation that has the same high voltage opamp.
My intention is to reverse the thing, so stay tuned. :grin:

chrissugar

Hey Frank, any news about that Tran...nt Designer schem? This thing drives me crazy for at least two years.

chrissugar

[quote author="tk@halmi"] Also no amplifier/speaker will reproduce that dynamic range as far as I know .[/quote]

correct
It should be noted that many speaker amp combinations do fall short of the dynamic range required for normal recording sessions ... that probably goes for headphone amps as well.

[quote author="Jakob"] Do anyone actually need to drive 45V RMS into anything (other than drummer's headphones)? [/quote]

:green:
perhaps not ... but ... may I try ?

My 100's post :))
OK, +/-60v opamp is not very big deal.
Themal problems are most sommon sh*t here.
To get fast speed and transparency, common base
amplification stages are best imho.
Mosfet input even with all its high input capacitance
have negative thermal coefficient and low noise.
I don't need opamp for meg inp impedanses,
so, mosfets.
This is thing we played a lot around in Russia like 8 years ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/IJR/pa_classA5.jpg
Can work as great micpre, btw. Need some mods.
First, using low gate capacitance mosfets at fair high current
(and package allowing good thermal contact).
Second, fully ballanced configuration like Peranderson opamp-
with modified Wilson mirror to 4 transistors configuration-must be
very linear.
Third, using mpsa42/43 and mpsa92/93 as most linear high voltage
transistors- in such circuits, linear dependance h21e from collector
current is clear sound.
Output buffer not necessary Jung's, but must be fast fast and linear.
Let's try this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/IJR/ijdoa.gif

I hope this thing will work.

Shown allmost without feedback-designing and breadboarding power amp, you need to get good results with very low feedback to clear sound and low dc offsets.

Output transistors shown wrong (must be high voltage type)
15030/31 maybe...
Also, voltage shown is +/-40v, but can go to +/-100 with different
out trans. and change some R values.
I just draw it quickly and of course help of people like PRR and Yakob
will be great.
Questions to people like PRR:
1.Better input fet than irfd220? (available from Farnell).
2.q10-q13 output buffer thermal stability?
What should I glue to what :))
3.R11 : r or zener? (relate to temp. problems )?
So, let's not enter to legal issues with SPL- let's do our +/-100v opamp.
:))))
Sorry, my english can be better:)

I´m working on a single supply +100v micpreamp.

I´ve already did the board layout, and I´ve started to solder. I´m still waiting for some transistors to arrive but I guess I´ll be testing this thing soon.

Off coarse, details will be posted, after tests...

Did not have opamps in mind.
A way to overcome power supply issues at voltages more than ,say,
50v, is +/- power supply.

Back