oversized heatsink necessary on some projects?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimesizer75

Noob here...

Couldn't find the info I was looking for, so I thought I would just ask. Thanks for any input!

I have noticed on several of the completed projects, that in the power supply section the voltage regulators are mounted off the PCB to a huge heatsink. Examples seen: G9 and DOAC

Is this necessary, is this just overly cautious, or is this just the DIY spirit of "This is what I have, This will work for the job"?

Getting ready to start a DOAC, so wanted to make sure I had the right stuff. It seems like everybody does that sort of thing differently, so I thought I would ask, before messing something up!

As those are tube projects, they need a heater supply which needs much current. If a regulator needs to deliver much current, it gets hotter and needs more cooling.

Honestly, and please don't take this too personal but judging from your question i really wonder if you are ready to take on a tube project? You do know that those voltages found inside tube amps are very dangerous ? Actually i think it would be wise for you to stick around for some time, learning more about DIY and electronics and then slowly start to dive into tube projects when you feel you are ready for those.

Flo

I appreciate your concern, but I have done work on many tube devices and other equally high voltage projects, so I respect the electrical energy that is in the devices and also my life.

My question stems from a simple observation. Some of the builds mount with smaller heatsinks on the board, some mount with very large heatsinks off the board.

I realize there is heat, but it is dealt with in two very different ways. Why do you use an oversized heatsink OFF the board as opposed to on the board.

Some people are not doing this. Some people are.

Ok good to know you know what you are getting into.

Well builds like the DAOC has space for a heatsink on the board so i reckon it will work with this heatsink, if you use the one the board is made for. In the case of my DAOC i have mounted the heatsink offboard as i have used a very big heatsink. It runs cooler with a bigger heatsink.
Here is a pic:
DAOC1.jpg

On the G9 i remember Jakob always said to mount the regulator offboard and bolt it to the case (of course isolated) so i wouldn't take any chances with this and do it different. From my own experience the heatsink in the G9 gets very hot so i definitely wouldn't use a normal heatsink. Either a big one offboard or even better use the case as a heatsink.

Hope this helps.

Flo

Back