BBC Iplayer downloads

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenGiles

I don't think you have this in the USA, but the BBC for some time now, has the facility to download both TV and radio programmes for up to 7 days after broadcast, or simply watch them on line . The downloading is done via the BBC's own bit torrent software. What is interesting is that I get download speeds of up to 400Kb/sec any time, whereas downloading via the usual bit torrent trackers like Dimeadozen, achieves up to 450KB/sec in the morning and then slows to 10Kb/sec in the evening.

Any thoughts?

Bittorrent depend on a certain ratio of people seeding (no longer downloading but still uploading) vs. people downloading the torrents in order to achieve smooth and fast operation. The BBC has deep enough pockets to ensure a certain number of seeders exist at all times. Regular torrent trackers do not.

That's my theory, anyway.

I'm aware of the BBC iPlayer, and yes, it's geolocked to license-paying regions of the world, and that really sucks. I'd pay the BBC license fee in exchange for access to the iPlayer and torrents.

Darren, thanks for your answer. Of course the BBC build DRM into the downloadable file, so it is impossible to burn to CD or DVD as is. Fortunatly there is a little programme called FairUse4WM which can strip the DRM from the wmv file. That takes about 25 minutes to deal with a 500Mb wmv on my old win98 laptop running XP with no updates. It will not work on my PC as the updates contain some tricks to prevent licence keys being extracted from the wmv!

Now, to convert the DRM free wmv file to DVD format vob files takes about 2 hours per 1 hour programme, then there is the authoring to provide the 1 Gb vob files and other magic to allow it to be played on a VDV player. Is it worth it? you may well ask, well, it does mean that I can sit down with my wife and watch a programme on TV - not so comfortable around a PC screen!

Personally, I'd prefer to not have any extra traffic from "geolock" detector vans in the neighborhood. . .
Mike
PS: I actually got my UK host busted for my watching "The Four Tops Live!" one Saturday night in 1989. It was his illegal TV, how was I to know he had not paid his TV tax? The fine detailed my infraction!

the only time i seriously miss UK TV is the 6 nations rugby tournament each february. The only way to watch it in real time here is to go to a pub 20 miles away at 8am in the morning.

But even then... you don't get the welsh commentary.

:sad:

/R

Back