Noob needs help choosing DOA for API 312

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy12387

Alright, i have looked around for a while and i have no idea how to choose an op amp. I look around and find tons of options... melcor, avedis, sga-soa kit, sound skulptor kit, etc, etc.

I have never done anything with DOAs before and i, therefore, have no idea how to sort through all of this. Is there anything i need to look out for when choosing them for this project? Different sound? Any pointers, opinions, advice, etc would be gratefully appreciated.

I apologize if this is in answered elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

it really depends on the sound you want, though the transformers you use can affect the sound as much or more than the amp.

Depending on transformer choice, a 990 or 2520 will give classic results.

I'm really liking the 99v from jlm, and I hear really good things about purple's amp.

Also, a transformer driving a 5534 or tl071 with some booster transistors on the output sounds f-ing great too.

You can't really go wrong with any of them, though I personally don't care too much for the melcor in a mic pre unless it is going on a guitar cab.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Hehe i figured it'd end up being a matter of taste. I'm figuring on using cinemag transformers and try to get a classic sound. I figured on going with a 2520 type.

I'm looking at the avedis or SCA versions. Also thinking of going with the sga-soa kit that ptownkid sells. Could save me a decent bit of money.

Are they difficult to build?

if you are going to go with a 2520-type amp, you might consider burdij's smd-doas http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=26699&highlight=smd+doa
its a kit, but barely (you only have to solder 4 transistors and 6 pins) and they are 1/3 the price of avedis, sca, etc... or if you want a more traditional through-hole component 2520 you could talk to peter purpose http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28205&highlight=2*5*2*0&sid=8a086c1d9e9a959937b9c6300d39994d
and still support a forum member.
-Ben

Latest posts

Back