£65 Valve Mic Preamp / EQ. From Studiospares

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodabod

Look like it could be interesting for a bit of mucking about. You're getting what looks like a decent case, PSU and a couple of valves:

http://www.studiospares.com/Microphone-Preamps/Studiospares-Mono-Valve-Mic-Preamp/invt/348000

348000_l.jpg

Edit: I see it's already mentioned here.

As there's a nearly identical non-tube model, I wouldn't expect the EQ to be tube-based..

0729132947_749.jpg

But yes, a simple and cheap way of getting a chassis (though I wouldn't want my tubes outside like that - feels too dangerous..)

Jakob E.

Good value if it has a proper HT and heater supply ... unlike the behringer.

...out of stock already! You guys....

Ok, I picked up the valve model for £17. I couldn't say no.

Two 6N3P valves from what I understand. 50V B+ and 6V heaters.

Eq. provided by 4560/80 opamps and some caps.

Now to decide what to make out of it....

Viitalahde said:
Fuck yeah. I want to see a pterodactyl made out of that thing!

It's possible it was already used to make one. http://www.jagjaguwar.com/onesheet.php?cat=JAGBR013

Personally this is a wonderful unit for deceiving belligerent clients who insist on everything being valve or they will record at another studio (of course because their friend told them valve is the only way to record.)

Gone will be the days when I patiently tell them that they are about to record with a Neve preamplifier which forms the cornerstone of some of the most seminal recordings of all time, and gone is the consequent backlash where I smile and endure their ego's. Instead I will tell them, "yes here is my valve preamp, see its shiny globes of tube goodness", whilst happily working their vocals with the trim fader on my 1290.

Much more valuable then a paperweight:)

Latest posts

Back