My first DIY contraption - "Ghetto Nine"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackies

Hooray!
:green:
I been lurking on this board for years, but haven't built anything, for various reasons, mostly lack of time, parts, etc.. I'm not a complete n00b, in my better years (high school) I was into electronics and such, but then I dropped out of college and instead of electronics engineer I became a boogie singer, singing in a rock-n-roll band, (you know the drill)... Promiscuity and substance abuse didn't leave any free time for more meaningful hobbies, then it was work and family, but I was sure I can build something, if I gather enough random parts and have some spare time.. Anyhow, after a few weeks of ocassional dremelling, drilling, soldering, and shouting "I'm coming honey!" I built this.
I, naturally, plan to build a number of devices that are popular over here, but wanted to start with something simple.
So I began with some rack unit, apparently from some tape duplication system:

g1.jpg

And here we are!

g3.jpg

Little copper-clad box on top houses a small wallwart transformer that produces high voltage... Output cap switches allow to switch between 10uF russian paper-in-oil capacitor or regular polypropilene or both for output. Some small UTC transformers from ebay are used for audio.. Hi-pass switch is 11 pos too, love to cut me some lows!

g4.jpg

Looks rather messy inside, more of a cunning stunt than p2p, however, to my surprise, when I wired it up and turned it on, no smoke came out and the fuse was still there... Then I hooked it to an amp, and ran guitar and rhodes through it - nice range of sounds from clean to overdriven. Have yet to try it with mic, but I wanted it mostly for rhodes.. I also installed a "bias" pot, which reduces the bias of the first stage, hoping to get more distortion that way, didn't quite work out, probably you get more distiortion from de-biasing power tubes... Will have to experiment with that later...
And, for an extra ghetto touch, I installed LEDs under the tubes because they don't produce enough light.... :grin:

g2.jpg

Anyway, thanks to Gyraf, and all good folks here at prodigy-pro, you make it possible and inspire others with your example!

Cool build. I actually have some of those same boxes that I've used for sundry diy.

Latest posts

Back