[BUILD] 1176 Rev A - Back to the beginning...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change Q6, if I remember correctly what I read about burning R32, it's a wrong output xfrm wiring or a falsy Q6, so if your wiring is correct, then swap Q6 ! Good luck.

Ben

MicDaddy said:
from nimbleswitch-

Step 3: Adjust Gain Reduction Meter Tracking

Ok. .775v coming in.

* In GRmode, Input control at 12 o'clock, and adjust output control
      to give .775v coming out of the unit.
    * Now, switch to bypass, and adjust the input control(the t-pad)till
      your output of the 1176 reads 10db(2.4495).
    * Then switch back into GRmode and again readjust the output
      control(of the unit) to read .775v at the unit's output.
    * Then switch to bypass yet again, and readjust the input
      control(t-pad) till the unit's output reads 10db(2.4495).
    * This goes back and forth a few times till the 10db swing
      holds...i.e, in bypass mode you have 2.4495v coming out, and then
      switching into GRmode, you have .775v coming out. Thus the 10db
      swing...10db of gain reduction.
    * Immediately insert R44 with input signal still present and adjust
      it till your internal VU meter rests at -10dB. You'll probably be
      quite close to this setting without adjustment.

It's been my experience easier to 'see' what's going on with the DMM than watching the VU

That Helped!!! Thanks a lot!!

Hey Guys
So on this very topic.....

I just finally got all the audio passing correctly, no distortion. set the Q bias according to the instructions and also as i did with my two other 1176s now im trying to get the GR tracking happening. ANd no matter what i do i dont get a drop of more than 4db when switching the bypass on and off. Id ont have the unit in front of me at the moment but this sounds like a Ratio board resistor value or something? Anybody had this before?

Thanks!

Chris

ChrioN said:
Yes, measuring on the pcb at the input pads, no signal. I've tried two transformers, same problem.

Transformer is oriented correctly on pcb?  I believe there's a black dot on the sticker side which should face either output or input  (I want to say output side but don't remember).

+/-/shield are terminated properly on the trafo pcb with no shorts? 

Sorry if this is elementary I'm just trying to lay out what I would check.

If you find that everything is oriented and correct, I'd remove the wires from the output side of the input transformer, and make sure I'm seeing audio at this point.

Yes to all questions, and yes I've measured at the output pins of the input transformer, so no wire problems.

It often is the elementary parts that is the problem. Any other suggestions? I apreciate it. Thanks.

ChrioN said:
Yes to all questions, and yes I've measured at the output pins of the input transformer, so no wire problems.

It often is the elementary parts that is the problem. Any other suggestions? I apreciate it. Thanks.

Ok I believe next thing in the path is the Tpad?  Do you see the audio on the input/output here?  Is the input knob turned up?

ChrioN said:
Note that the t-pad comes before the input transformer. No problems there. Its after the input transformer the signal gets lost.

::)  been awhile since I've been inside her...  (insert joke here)

the leads from the input that terminate at the pcb....  with these removed do you see signal on these wires?

MicDaddy said:
ChrioN said:
Note that the t-pad comes before the input transformer. No problems there. Its after the input transformer the signal gets lost.

::)  been awhile since I've been inside her...  (insert joke here)

the leads from the input that terminate at the pcb....  with these removed do you see signal on these wires?

Yes, there is a signal when the wires ain't terminated to the pcb so the problem should be somewhere on the pcb.

ChrioN said:
Yes, there is a signal when the wires ain't terminated to the pcb so the problem should be somewhere on the pcb.

And with the wires terminated no signal at those pads?  Sorry for my dragging out of where you seem to have already laid out in your first post, trying to get up to speed and rule out simple stuff.  pics?

This is really driving me nuts. I've completed four 1176s over the years, so I know this project fairly well.

Anyways, I've attached a picture of how I've wired the input.

Attachments

• 1176wiring.gif
    1176wiring.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 75
ChrioN said:
This is really driving me nuts. I've completed four 1176s over the years, so I know this project fairly well.

Anyways, I've attached a picture of how I've wired the input.
So signal from transformer PCB until you connect it to the main PCB at which point you know longer get signal from the output of transformer PCB... Must be shorted PCB input +- no?  Or the signal from transformer PCB isn't actually connecting to the PCB input.. ie.  lifted trace/dodgy wire/dogdy molex etc...  Or the 270R is a stupidly low value

When main PCB is connected have you tested whether there's signal from a point on the transformer PCB ?

Back