Lynx Aurora 16 vs Behringer ADA8000

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Category 5"]During the heavy chorus parts I thought the Behringer held focus better. What I mean is, it sounded like the individual parts retained their ability to be singled out better. I thought the Aurora actually clouded those parts.

It's also very difficult to judge converter detail when the content is of that type. There is so much distortion going on in the actual recording it's hard to separate what the converters add.

Based on what I heard though, I'd say anyone who doesn't buy the Behringer because of the name printed on it is really missing out. It's one of the best values in the business...almost legendary at its' price.[/quote]

Yes. I figured that the material might not completely illuminate the difference so I did post CD wav files of various artists later in the thread which you can listen to instead of the rock mix.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't at all like the smeary top end of the Aurora... it robs a lot of energy/excitement from the music... I seriously wonder if I got a bad unit or something... because everyone else seems to have had a different experience with theirs.

I didn't feel there was a clear winner
comparing the two i might not want to use either but
if i only had one and not know the other
might have thought it good enough and moved on to other
aspects of the mix

Svart has an Alpha-link. Maybe we can convince him to run this through it?

heya folks, I just read this.

Just tell me what you want me to do and I'll get it done for you.

Particularly on cymbals

Yes, this is one of the biggest differences in high end converter boxes. The real areas where these shine are actually in the analog sections. This is why the ADA8000 can really be a good box once you mod it a little. There was a large thread on this a while back if you search.

I have an ADA8000 as well as the Alphalink but it's not in any condition to use for testing right now though.

I must say that I am very impressed with my Aurora. Sounds better than any convertors I have used to date. It has a much better top end than the 002 and Octopre that I was using. People have AB them with HD96 units and thought the Aurora was superior aswell.
Interesting! When I first recorded something into my Aurora it was like taking a limiter off the monitors. Everything is subjective I suppose.

Svart, how do you like the SSL? I'm seriously considering upgrading from my Firepods to one, as soon as I save up the scratch.

How do you interface it with your DAW? Do you use SSL's Mixpander or something else?

Thanks!

Heya B3,

I love the Alphalink. It's just a super sounding box.

I use the Mixpander with mine. The mixpander comes with a program, SSLmixer, that's like a software mixer. You BUILD your channels from blocks of things like EQ, dynamics and so forth. You can route the streams to/from your DAW really easily through the SSLmixer. It's all virtual so you can do some really neat routing tricks too.

Back