dbx 160vu clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No kidding, huh?

So, if I'm intuiting this right, the rails are being pulled up toward +24 or down toward -24 along with the amplified output signal swing.  And the feedback is keeping the op-amp locked in on (a scaled version of the) output despite the fact that the relationship between the signal and the rails is constantly changing.  (Then again, I suppose it always is.)  So maybe that 1uF (C34) keeps those rail voltage changes from getting too out of hand for the slew rate to keep up with?

Wow, that's cool.  Thanks for explaining that.  Clearly I have a lot to learn.  :)

(Attaching the VCA schematics as well.)

Attachments

• CLX 160 - VCA.png
    CLX 160 - VCA.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 112
SirNickity said:
So maybe that 1uF (C34) keeps those rail voltage changes from getting too out of hand for the slew rate to keep up with?
Simply keeping the differential rail voltage exempt from variations that could impair the circuit's operation, because PSRR is not infinite.

SirNickity said:
No kidding, huh?

So, if I'm intuiting this right, the rails are being pulled up toward +24 or down toward -24 along with the amplified output signal swing.  And the feedback is keeping the op-amp locked in on (a scaled version of the) output despite the fact that the relationship between the signal and the rails is constantly changing.

Monitor the op-amp power pins during operation. Remember that the power pins will draw whatever current the circuit requires. That current is pulled through the largish resistors, which means a voltage drop of V = IR .

Sorry to revive an old thread but i searched through the thread but was unable to find the etch layouts for the pcb. I think the links to the layouts are no longer live. Can someone please attach the etch layout for the dbx 160 board?

mattmartin831 said:
Sorry to revive an old thread but i searched through the thread but was unable to find the etch layouts for the pcb. I think the links to the layouts are no longer live. Can someone please attach the etch layout for the dbx 160 board?

I don't think there were "self etch" layouts available for these boards.  You can buy them here http://collectivecases.com/?product=clx-vu-pcbs  & they are not expensive.

Hi,
I'm starting one of these builds soon.

Decided to make my own case and prob custom order the front panel(s). Either two half rack front like the original 160VU or one single one in style of a 162VU. Anyone who have made replicas and would like share some files for the front panel(s)?

Also wonder if anyone know a place to buy aluminium edge trims similar to the ones used on the original units?

Latest posts

Back