PSU Fan?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snatchman

Hello all... Question: Can a PSU with an on-board cooling fan be made fanless ( without harming the PSU of course.. :green: ..) to get rid of fan noise in the controlroom.? ( one room studio).. If so, what would be required or route to take to do this? Thanks... :idea:

What is the power supply for? I removed the fans from my Main Speaker power supply, but the returns for my air conditioner are set up to blow through them, post air filter.

[quote author="jimesizer75"]What is the power supply for? I removed the fans from my Main Speaker power supply, but the returns for my air conditioner are set up to blow through them, post air filter.[/quote] Hello. Thanks for the reply. Sorry... :oops: ..I should have been more clear. It's for a mixing console. Thanks.....

[quote author="chriss"]Hi,

on ebay I found amixer with a PSU modified in this way.

M-600

best regards

Chris[/quote]Hey Chris. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I can't read German language.... :oops: ....

Ok.. If by-passing the fan is a stretch, what about a " quieter" fan replacement? ( sorta like the mod that's done to the Alesis HD24..)..How would I go about figuring out another one ( specs) that will put out enough cooling air, but not be noisy at the same time..?...Thanks.. :?

i dorked out a few years ago and spent some time researching how to build a quiet computer.

the best fan as far as the cooling: quiet ratio was the nexus 120mm fan:

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=nexus120mm

i have one that has been running perfectly and quietly at around 9v inside of my daw PC for over two years.

you can vary the voltage between 7-12vdc for more/less speed...running multiple fans at a lower voltage will give quieter results for the same amount of CFM movement from one fan running at high speeds....i will gladly answer any more fan questions...

@snatchman: The text on ebay doesn't say more than the PSU is moddded to come out without a fan.

@outoftune: I also spent a lot of time and money to have my computer quiet. Last week I bought a 10 meters USB-repeater-cable, a USB-Hub and two 10 meter DVI-cables. And the computer went in the "machine room" next to the mixer-supplies, the monitor amps and other things I don't want to see or hear in the control room. And this is by far the best solution for a quiet computer :wink: I strongly recommend this way if ever possible, it makes so much difference even in concentration during work.

Chris

[quote author="chriss"]@outoftune: I also spent a lot of time and money to have my computer quiet. Last week I bought a 10 meters USB-repeater-cable, a USB-Hub and two 10 meter DVI-cables. And the computer went in the "machine room" next to the mixer-supplies, the monitor amps and other things I don't want to see or hear in the control room. And this is by far the best solution for a quiet computer :wink: I strongly recommend this way if ever possible, it makes so much difference even in concentration during work.

Chris[/quote]

yeah that is the most silent way! i don't run too many intense daw sessions so i am able to get away with having a fanless heatsink (scythe ninja) and a couple nexus fans running on low voltages, quiet enough for me for now.

It's still not very clear.
how big is the psu, what's it look like.
a heat sink or a peltier junction might work but who could say...
we need more info.
sleeper

[quote author="Sleeper"]It's still not very clear.
how big is the psu, what's it look like.
a heat sink or a peltier junction might work but who could say...
we need more info.
sleeper[/quote] Hey Sleeper. Thanks for the reply. The PSU is a 3 space size unit. ( ie. your average fanless power amp ( RA-100,etc.)..I wish I could separate the PSU into another room, but as I stated I'm in a one room studio....I'm sure if I could drop the fan noise even a little, it'll help as it not terrible now. Just noticeble after the playback has stopped. Thanks!

Ok everyone. I'm still at this... :green: .... I found this info on the fan that's in the PSU now...

Micronel @AG
V624L 115AO GA
115v -50/60hz 70 mA

I search and found the company, but didn't see the model that I have. So I guess I'll have to cross reference another one to fit. ( even tho I have no experience in this... :oops: ..) I do know that the existing fan runs off AC tho. Anyone familiar with this company? Thanks...

Send them a mail and ask if they have a successor for this model, or if not, if they have a datasheet for it. Nevertheless it shouldn't be too much of a problem to exchange the fan with one of the same size and 115V.

I replaced the fans in my PSUs with the same models and they were so much quiter (and cleaner...) than the old ones. They are from papst, they have a good reputation in fans. Maybe you can find something on their page.

Chriss

[quote author="chriss"]Send them a mail and ask if they have a successor for this model, or if not, if they have a datasheet for it. Nevertheless it shouldn't be too much of a problem to exchange the fan with one of the same size and 115V.

I replaced the fans in my PSUs with the same models and they were so much quiter (and cleaner...) than the old ones. They are from papst, they have a good reputation in fans. Maybe you can find something on their page.

Chriss[/quote]Hey Chris. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I actually mailed the company but haven't heard anything back as of yet. As I looked at the original fan in the PSU, it looks like the fan was an after thought. ( added on).. Especially with the way the vents has been blocked off as if to hold in air! I even talked to a Tech that says that DDA added on the fans because the PSU as in it original design, begin to run hot and hurt components. That's why some of the DDA " S" consoles PSU has fans, some don't. Thanks ( also for the link)....... :cool:

Back