that 1512 or similar preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolo95

Hey
anyone seen DIY kit for a THAT 1512 or opa´s class pre amps chips...

Thx
Rolo.

And adding to that list: a micbuilders-list guy in India had a small PCB for sale. Maybe has had more. PCBs were not silkscreened but decent. Just the IC & stuff, no servo or anything else, size of a matchbox. Just let me know....

Very cool!!! guys!!

Thank you all for your replys...
will take a look at those kits....

Will love to build one... or 2...

:)
Cheers
Rolo.

[quote author="jdbakker"]Forum member mcs has the ThatMic, a nice little kit.

JD 'satisfied customer' B.[/quote]

Hey JD... on what you use your preamp and how it sounds

im really looking in to ThatMic kit...

what box you sugest to put it in...

Or just read the application notes and build one on perfboard - really very simple. I built a couple this way without any caps or trannies in the signal path. How do they sound? Completely clean and nautural - no obvious sound of their own.

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/1510data.pdf

Good stuff here...
http://www.picocompressorforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14

[quote author="rolo95"][quote author="jdbakker"]Forum member mcs has the ThatMic, a nice little kit.

what box you sugest to put it in...[/quote]

I'll second JD's suggestion. Nice, simple kit. I have a pair in a 1RU box, and they have come in handy many times. I recently used the pair on kick and snare for a live recording with excellent results. The drummer was complementing me on it just the other night.

[quote author="zebra50"]Or just read the application notes and build one on perfboard - really very simple. I built a couple this way without any caps or trannies in the signal path. How do they sound? Completely clean and nautural - no obvious sound of their own.

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/1510data.pdf

Good stuff here...
http://www.picocompressorforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14[/quote]

very nice stuff there
thx
Rolo.

[quote author="skipwave"][quote author="rolo95"][quote author="jdbakker"]Forum member mcs has the ThatMic, a nice little kit.

what box you sugest to put it in...[/quote]

I'll second JD's suggestion. Nice, simple kit. I have a pair in a 1RU box, and they have come in handy many times. I recently used the pair on kick and snare for a live recording with excellent results. The drummer was complementing me on it just the other night.[/quote]
Hey where did you get the enclosures 1RU
Rolo.

chassis here-

http://www.par-metal.com/

Also, I think there is a section in the meta about metalwork that should have some links.

If you have something broken, you could salvage a chassis, or sometimes you can buy some weirdo junky thing cheaper than the par metal, and it might even come with the mains xfmr you need.

Lately I'm fond of gutting Blehringer boxes that I get for $20 a pop. Nice and heavy, and I usually net a handful of useful components as well, not the least of which is xlr jacks. You can always put a fancy FrontPanelExpress face on it.

[quote author="skipwave"]Lately I'm fond of gutting Blehringer boxes that I get for $20 a pop. Nice and heavy, and I usually net a handful of useful components as well, not the least of which is xlr jacks. You can always put a fancy FrontPanelExpress face on it.[/quote]

What !!! Where
Where!!!
Rolo.

This IC pre has piqued my interest.

Can anyone tell me - the gain is controlled by the resistance between pin 1 and 8. If I had a string of these ICs could I connect all the pin 1s and run pots to the pin 8s?

Why would this be useful? I'm thinking about how many wires I'd need to run to control gain if I built a little remote-controller.

If connecting all the pin 1s would work then I could run, say, 9 wires for remote control of 8 pres. Otherwise I'd need 16 wires.

[quote author="geoff004"]If I had a string of these ICs could I connect all the pin 1s and run pots to the pin 8s?[/quote]
No. In normal operation, pin 1 is Vbe (~0.6V) below pin 2 (-In), which will be different for each channel. If you want/need remote operation, consider either the PGA2500 or a VCA like the THAT2180/2181.

JDB.

rolo95 said:
[quote author="skipwave"]Lately I'm fond of gutting Blehringer boxes that I get for $20 a pop. Nice and heavy, and I usually net a handful of useful components as well, not the least of which is xlr jacks. You can always put a fancy FrontPanelExpress face on it.

What !!! Where
Where!!!
Rolo.
[/quote]

Ironically, after I posted that my local used music gear store where I got those boxes closed down. Bummer.

Svart said:
Is MCS's website in Kroner?  If so, those are awesome prices..

Depends which one you're looking at :)

If you just go to http://electronics.dantimax.com, you get prices in euros. If you then click the Danish flag, you get prices in DKK (kroner).

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Hey guys. New user here - I hope I don't come off sounding too thick...
I recently found out about this IC on the TapeOp message board and thought I'd have a crack at the circuit - I'm fairly new to recording, but I spent 4 years studying electronics in college (that was a  long time ago though, so I've forgotten a lot of stuff).
What I really want to know for now is: if I were to build the basic circuit in the THAT 1512 datasheet, could I just connect a XLR jack to the input and a TS jack to the output and expect to hear anything from any of my mics (forgetting the condensers for now - if this works, then maybe I'll go look for a 48V supply to add in)?
I'm thinking of just building the circuit onto perfboard (we've loads lying around where I work) and using a +/-12V supply I found (I know it gives me a bit less headroom, but building onto perfboard also lets me upgrade things later if I'm in any way successful - and the 12V supply is free!) to power the ICs.
After reading this forum for a bit, you guys seem to be very knowledgeable, so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Tony

Latest posts

Back