What parts/components to fabricate??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENS Audio

Hello, I have been thinking of getting into learning machining on a hobby/diy basis. Im willing to put a small amount of money into equipment and materials and so there are a few options I have in mind and of course the least costly of these options is what I'll go for.

My intention is not to compete with the other sellers in the products they're offering, I will only make batches in small but limited quantities to where in the beginning will not charge anything but for shipping of course, unless we're dealing with aluminum or other metals.

So, these are my options:

Making I/O audio transformers and Inductors, nothing that is already being offered by known sellers.

Fabricating Pots/Trimmers, if that is this would be realistic in money, time and resources. (I'd like to find out more information on the manufacturing process and if someone to whom can help me out through the "learning curve" and in return would send the reciepiant some free goodies)

Finally, custom hardware and metal chassis (dont worry Purusha I wont be offering anything that youre offering )

So are my intentions ethically inline?? I dont want to "step on nobodys toes", I only want to learn some great skills and have fun in the process.

Suggestions please,

Thanks,

with the shape of the global economy--don't plan on this to help pay your living expenses.
I don't think you will be stepping on any toes as this is DIY--its a free market with quality/price as major factors...some times like a flea market or just like a mini-mall, a minimall.

With an industrious spirit find a product people need, make it well and the rest takes care of itself--or so it's been said.

Yeah , we need a source of Panel only options
, cheaper without the case , but a good value case
would be appreciatted as well [ that's what i most need ].
Actually if you find the thread , many of us are looking for
a decent priced 500 series rack for modules like the api
[ search it in the lab ]

good luck [ yeah if you count on it for money ........well
it's like any business , but if you can do easily or cheaply
might make a vaiable side income

[quote author="okgb"]Yeah , we need a source of Panel only options
, cheaper without the case , but a good value case
would be appreciatted as well [ that's what i most need ].
Actually if you find the thread , many of us are looking for
a decent priced 500 series rack for modules like the api
[ search it in the lab ]

good luck [ yeah if you count on it for money ........well
it's like any business , but if you can do easily or cheaply
might make a vaiable side income[/quote]

Making money isnt as important as hopefully in the long haul "breaking even" would be just fine for me. The most important thing is the ratio of cost of making as opposed to cost of buy from "xyz" manufacturer.

It seems there are some very expensive / hard to find parts out there such as switches/pots and various hardware which id like to find out more info on how to fabricates these following items.

Hey ENS!
In my better years I worked as a metalworker and I worked a mill and lathe and used to make all sorts of pieces just for fun, it's great to see a piece of metal turning into a thing with a fine blend of electricity and brain power....
:grin:
However, I don't think that Making I/O audio transformers and Inductors or Fabricating Pots/Trimmers is feasible at all. I can imagine making an inductor, but I don't think making a trimpot is possible at all.. Custom hardware is certainly doable, but it'd be expensive and elitist. Especially if you factor in your time. Like, I spent weeks building my preamp, and obviously, if I worked instead, I woulda just bought an avalon or dwfern or something... But I got an ugly looking preamp instead, and I sure had fun building it. So it'd be great if you build a chassis for your amp or something, that's fun and something to do, but think of building a chassis for 1000 people on this board? That's like, a year's worth of work without days off...
Think about it... :?

[quote author="jackies"]Hey ENS!
In my better years I worked as a metalworker and I worked a mill and lathe and used to make all sorts of pieces just for fun, it's great to see a piece of metal turning into a thing with a fine blend of electricity and brain power....
:grin:
However, I don't think that Making I/O audio transformers and Inductors or Fabricating Pots/Trimmers is feasible at all. I can imagine making an inductor, but I don't think making a trimpot is possible at all.. Custom hardware is certainly doable, but it'd be expensive and elitist. Especially if you factor in your time. Like, I spent weeks building my preamp, and obviously, if I worked instead, I woulda just bought an avalon or dwfern or something... But I got an ugly looking preamp instead, and I sure had fun building it. So it'd be great if you build a chassis for your amp or something, that's fun and something to do, but think of building a chassis for 1000 people on this board? That's like, a year's worth of work without days off...
Think about it... :?[/quote]

yes 1000 would be something that Im not looking to do unless I had a nifty CNC machine to do the work for me :green:

I'll determine which way to go when I obtain enough info and recommendations from others.

[quote author="ENS Audio"]Hello, I have been thinking of getting into learning machining on a hobby/diy basis. Im willing to put a small amount of money into equipment and materials and so there are a few options I have in mind and of course the least costly of these options is what I'll go for.
[/quote]

This is the right time for personal development. Therefore go for it. Things are slow and bad in a lot of cases at the moment and will get worse. I don't know your budget but you can pick up a second hand small lathe, mill (not the railway modellers' toy types)and even a flat bed cnc router.

However, learning these machines to do simple things is one thing but offering services or products with them is another. The latter requires a bit more and the best way to go for it is to look for an apprenticeship. Go to machining shops and ask them for unpaid placement. Tell them as long as you are covered with their business insurance against accidents you'll work free. There is nothing on earth that replaces standing beside a master and watching how he/she is doing things.

My intention is not to compete with the other sellers in the products they're offering, I will only make batches in small but limited quantities to where in the beginning will not charge anything but for shipping of course, unless we're dealing with aluminum or other metals.

Now you have moved into a completely different territory. This is not hobby, this is business. Starting with the idea that you will not compete is wrong. You are at the dark end of a back street and there are a lot of guys who'll pick a fight with you even if you do not want to. As soon as you offer products and services then you are in the competing game.

You'll either offer the same products and services that other people are offering, in which case you will compete and aim to capture a market share. Or you come up with a product and service that the others do not offer. But your list below does not belong to the latter.

Small batches and limited quantities are o.k. but I did not understand the bit you will not charge at the beginning. If you do not charge for what you do how will you sustain your existence? Even if you meant you will only work for no profit then it is still a very bad start-up decision. You work ridiciluously cheap then you stay for the rest of your business life that way and struggle. Then you come to an age that you don't have the same strength that you had when you are young, then just all of a sudden, overnight you find yourself penyless.

When you start very cheap people will rush into you at the beginning. You will be up to your neck in work. But when you start raising your fee because you have to be able to effort a loaf of bread then they will question you. How come you became expensive? Trust me on this. And when you start to expand the business the people's attitude get even worse. The worst thing a small business owner can do is to park his brand new sport car in front of his office. As soon as they start thinking that they are making you rich, you are done for.

Making I/O audio transformers and Inductors, nothing that is already being offered by known sellers.

Could be a nice, very small boutique business but chances of turning it into a regular business is very slim. It will be worth continuing the struggle as long as you enjoy doing it.

Fabricating Pots/Trimmers, if that is this would be realistic in money, time and resources. (I'd like to find out more information on the manufacturing process and if someone to whom can help me out through the "learning curve" and in return would send the reciepiant some free goodies)

Forget it.

Finally, custom hardware and metal chassis (dont worry Purusha I wont be offering anything that youre offering )

So are my intentions ethically inline?? I dont want to "step on nobodys toes", I only want to learn some great skills and have fun in the process.

Now this is where you are going to get the slaughter. Purusha offers, at least is capable of offering every conceivable custom metal hardware that you can offer. If you meant boards, etc. by saying custom hardware ,then there are other guys that offer killer works. So, what you will be offering is no different then anybody else's and you will be competing with them. Is that ethical. Of course it is. This is business and we all have to survive. Unless you sent PMs to everybody saying that Purusha's or anybody else's work is crap and you are the best then it is completely ethical.

Now this is my way of thinking. And possibly in line with most of the guys' thinking here, if not all.

In what we do there is always business for everybody. Offer your best, give your price. If you get it you've got a job. Otherwise look out for the next one.

However, one important point is that this forum is all about DIY which makes it unique. It is a small community and what everybody offers is not with a huge commercial interest in mind. At best a modest profit to cover the costs.

[quote author="sahib"][quote author="ENS Audio"]Hello, I have been thinking of getting into learning machining on a hobby/diy basis. Im willing to put a small amount of money into equipment and materials and so there are a few options I have in mind and of course the least costly of these options is what I'll go for.
[/quote]

This is the right time for personal development. Therefore go for it. Things are slow and bad in a lot of cases at the moment and will get worse. I don't know your budget but you can pick up a second hand small lathe, mill (not the railway modellers' toy types)and even a flat bed cnc router.

However, learning these machines to do simple things is one thing but offering services or products with them is another. The latter requires a bit more and the best way to go for it is to look for an apprenticeship. Go to machining shops and ask them for unpaid placement. Tell them as long as you are covered with their business insurance against accidents you'll work free. There is nothing on earth that replaces standing beside a master and watching how he/she is doing things.

Now you have moved into a completely different territory. This is not hobby, this is business. Starting with the idea that you will not compete is wrong. You are at the dark end of a back street and there are a lot of guys who'll pick a fight with you even if you do not want to. As soon as you offer products and services then you are in the competing game.

You'll either offer the same products and services that other people are offering, in which case you will compete and aim to capture a market share. Or you come up with a product and service that the others do not offer. But your list below does not belong to the latter.

Small batches and limited quantities are o.k. but I did not understand the bit you will not charge at the beginning. If you do not charge for what you do how will you sustain your existence? Even if you meant you will only work for no profit then it is still a very bad start-up decision. You work ridiciluously cheap then you stay for the rest of your business life that way and struggle. Then you come to an age that you don't have the same strength that you had when you are young, then just all of a sudden, overnight you find yourself penyless.

When you start very cheap people will rush into you at the beginning. You will be up to your neck in work. But when you start raising your fee because you have to be able to effort a loaf of bread then they will question you. How come you became expensive? Trust me on this. And when you start to expand the business the people's attitude get even worse. The worst thing a small business owner can do is to park his brand new sport car in front of his office. As soon as they start thinking that they are making you rich, you are done for.

Could be a nice, very small boutique business but chances of turning it into a regular business is very slim. It will be worth continuing the struggle as long as you enjoy doing it.

Forget it.

Now this is where you are going to get the slaughter. Purusha offers, at least is capable of offering every conceivable custom metal hardware that you can offer. If you meant boards, etc. by saying custom hardware ,then there are other guys that offer killer works. So, what you will be offering is no different then anybody else's and you will be competing with them. Is that ethical. Of course it is. This is business and we all have to survive. Unless you sent PMs to everybody saying that Purusha's or anybody else's work is crap and you are the best then it is completely ethical.

Now this is my way of thinking. And possibly in line with most of the guys' thinking here, if not all.

In what we do there is always business for everybody. Offer your best, give your price. If you get it you've got a job. Otherwise look out for the next one.

However, one important point is that this forum is all about DIY which makes it unique. It is a small community and what everybody offers is not with a huge commercial interest in mind. At best a modest profit to cover the costs.[/quote]

Yeah, you basically summed it all up for me :green:

I didnt feel that really there would be any chance of getting things rolling realistically.

just wanted to validate my illlogic :?

Perusha will not offer panels only the more costly full case
and the Euro shipping puts them on the edge

possibly because of the effort involved [ and amount of return ]
others have not stepped up either [ despite several having bought
milling machines , maybe there is just no money in it ]

bottom line though If it's not enjoyable or profitable
and the learning growth potential not worth the time investment
then yeah , there's likely many other things that could use your
positive time , energy & attention .

best wishes

If it is purely on a hobby basis, budget accordingly. If you are looking to get into commerce, then a business plan larger than a bar napkin is in order.
Any financial decision, hobby, family, career, over mid 3 figures should get at least a work-through on the numbers.
I have always wondered if a machine shop that is partially idle is willing to bring someone in as an apprentice for a period of time in return for clean-up, clerical, or whatever they needed. That is how I would get in if I was interested.
So many careers start from a hobby because the hobby is something that you want to and choose to do. I feel like I am not working more than I do because I love my work, studio teching, which grew from my interests of music, electronics, and taking junk apart to see how it works.
Businesses start when someone identifies a need, and determines an effective way to meet the need. If they enjoy doing it, everyone benefits. You will find that if you just ask people what they need, you will get a different answer than giving them a few pre-determined choices. We often do not know what we need.
Don't sell the dream as illogic, especially if it is starting as a hobby.
Mike

Mike brings a couple good points , simular to the fellow who was
going to partner in a studio

Getting a Plan and putting in on paper can be a good reality check ,
also a source of guidence in avoiding pitfalls and creating a roadmap

And some passion will make any work easier [ in a way ] although
compensating for an office job that is like prison may not be sustainable
but maybe give you more options of enjoyable work [ or things to enjoy
away from work ! ]

good luck [ skill & passion ]

I may of mispoke out of context when talking about starting a "business" my intentions are to "break even" the idea of profit and mass production arent things on the agenda.

Being that im horribly addicted to diy and being a drummer mainly its very difficult for me not the think of building such gear and all in "times eight" of each mic pre/eq filter e.t.c that I learn about. So, in the grand scheme of things it may be more cost effective to make my own chassis type designs or anything else thats really expensive in large quantities.

Also, being that in making good quality prototypes (cases and such) there would be no problem for me wanting to help others out there. If im doing it for myself, then why not do it for a small group of others only as long as I can "break even" and only sell items which are unique to what other sellers may be offering.

Mic bodies, fitting the G7 or whatever circuit you want, might be a good idea for getting into low-tech home manufacturing. There's constantly a search for what Chinese microphone body will fit a G7...

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back