Switch Matrix

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleeper

I'm working out a few details, trying to lose the mixer. a passive summing bus and monitor controller takes care of my back end, but I'd like to knock togerther a little switching matrix to move some of my rack effects boxes to different AD inputs.
Here's the idea:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tkell...lbum?.dir=/aca6&.src=ph&.tok=phZ2f8BBkABHP0RH

2 Questions
1. I put the 10k resistors on there in case I want to feed one AD input with 2 effects boxes (this won't be happenning except on rare occasions) and to keep the switches from popping. :oops: I just realized in writing this that I made a summing bus and the way I'm implementing this is going to give me way too much combined mix resisitance and gain loss- not what I want.
Hey-thinking out loud can be a good thing.

OK so I'll lose the resistors, mixing these effects is LOW priority...
but can I pop proof a switch like this...
In the end no resistors will just make this work exactly like a patch bay which I can deal with.

2. The grounding. I'd rather use a 2pole switch as it's more readily available and affordable but this means I have to tie the grounds to chassis... Far as I can tell I've got as good a chance of getting a ground loop this way as if I switch the grounds through the system with a 3 pole switch. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks All
Sleeper

You really want to loose the 10k. Otherwise you get an output impedance of 20k - a few meters of cable will limit bandwith and the cable will love to pick up hum & RFI. The gain loss would not substantial, just 6 dB with two sources.

If you have good equipment with decent balanced inputs, you don't need wo worry about ground loops. If you like, you can add a two-position switch for every input channel that allows a ground lift.

Samuel

Thanks Samuel for the good idea about the ground lift switch... I've put this on loads of gear in the past, but I hadn't thought about it for this one.
Course it was late on Saturday night. :sam:

I also realize, with a little rest, how to implement the popping resistors...
they just need to move to the other side of the switch (upstream) to keep them from being tied together in a bad way.

but I see what you mean about the values of the resistors. yeah, if anything at all I think a much lower value would be in order, and if they aren't very well matched, there goes my cable balance.

Thanks for the input.

Sleeper

Back