Electro-Harmonix NY-2A stereo tube comp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edanderson

p28279.jpg

according to the info from EH, it is a linkable 2 channel tube compressor, with three selectable optical gain reduction blocks- incandescent lamp, LED, or EL panel. no overall feedback, lundahl transformer balanced in and out. mechanical vu metering and magic eye tube metering.

list $2900ish, already advertised for $2100 street

watch a demo from two of the EH design engineers:

http://trio.harmony-central.com/ramgen/115AES/EH-NY2A.rm

i found the demo funny, and informative.

ed

got......errrrrm...bored.....errrrm...halfway....errrm.........through....errrr

is it just me or does the magic eye look gimmicky?

[quote author="toby"]is it just me or does the magic eye look gimmicky?[/quote]

It's not just you. When I saw the picture, the first thing I thought of was Behringer's cheesy "tube" products with the backlit tube on display in a little window :mad:

at the last aes i took a peek inside... lots of these to220-resistors, each mounted on a heat sink... weird? they told me that these parts have become commonly available only recently, and these parts had certain advantages for biasing with high current or something...?!? well i'm no valve expert, so is this true or nonsense?

cheers,
volker

Meters OK and magic eyes won't hurt either, but that combination hasn't really resulted in a nice-looking box imho - while that will have been their aim. I think the styling & magic eye are a bit of an odd combination.

Have been thinking about using EM4's (top view) for coarse level indication & some added gimmickry to a DIY-box but it hasn't happened yet. I like them but it's a pity to see them a bit 'misplaced' as in this EH-box.

Peter

I saw it at October NYC AES. Not bad but a little
strange color scheme. Per Lundahl was happy as it had 6 Lundahls's in there I think. Sounded OK through headphones on show floor.

volki
And yes the To220 resistors are the ticket. Great! Try
http://www.caddock.com/
they are the last resistor company on earth that will sell you 1 resistor.
they are expensive but work very well. Next time you build a 300B
tube amp use them as the cathode resistors. You will like them.
Make your equipment smaller just stick a heatsink out the back of the case.
Or bolt to the case.

Ive heard great things about this from a friend. That was the first time I saw it just now. Prior to seeing it I was really wondering what EH was gonna do to the look of their box to reflect the price. They failed as far as Im concerned, that thing is completely stupid looking, its like a big muff pi with meters....

dave

They stole my idea :green:

I've been using different optos in the same comp, a vactrol, an LDR with a LED & a LDR with a filament lamp. Can be used together because there's three independent sidechain drivers... Damn, I thought I had cornered that one :mad:

Magic eyes are way kewl :razz:

Does the word ugly ring a bell???
Looks like a Digitech toy for metalheads :shock:
just my 2 eurocents of course...

They forgot the lab handles.. I'd luv to see whats goes on inside. I think someone at TapeOp said it was shock full of TO-220 resistors... :?

Magic eyes are beyond cool.

Back