FAQS on general troubleshooting and use of test equipment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENS Audio

Hi, just to have some of the information on one thread I wanted to ask some basic questions of which to reaffirm Im going about the troubleshooting process and knowing how to measure components correctly.

First off when I want to measure the voltage of each pin for example the NE5534 do I keep the (-) probe on "star gnd"?

Also when using a signal generator for tracing or faultfinding on a pcb do I need to make any kind of diy probe? Also what pin do I connect what probe onto?

In addition to that if I was going to monitor the signal using my scope how would I normally go about hooking it up when using a signal generator in conjunction with the scope??

Also, when measuring voltage for transistors do I keep (-) probe connected to gnd while measuring with the (+)??

Some of the questions I already know, but I feel as if im wasting my time unless there is clarification to my knowledge.

If theres anything else or other tips and tricks for measuring and troubleshooting is there that I didnt mention???

Thanks,

You can not measure pins 2 and 3 on an opamp without some hi impedance probes.
You can, but the results might not always be what you expect in some circuits.

The scope minus lead, the black lead with the alligator clip, is the most dangerous thing on your bench, be careful with that lead.
It is hooked directly to one side of your house, so if you touch this lead to a Hot lead somehow, then you will have an explosion.

So use an iso transformer on the scope.

You do not really need any fancy scope leads for audio, unless you want to test transformers at 1 mega hertz.

Transistor circuits-just ground one lead, and have at it with the other, no weird opamp problems here.Just remember to be careful that you do not short the Plus side of the Pwr Supply to the base of any transistors.

Latest posts

Back