art tps II modding

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphotodude

my bud that has a studio has 4 or 5 ART TPS II units(i pity the fool!).
He doesnt even use them because they dont really sound that great.
I was hoping to upgrade some parts in them. They are "tube" based....with a single section of a 12ax7 at 48v per channel..... a joke tube unit.
But the opamps are mostly TL074's and 5534's.
I was wondering what a decent quad opamp to replace the TL074's was that wasn't an arm and leg to buy(and hopefully comes in dip packages, although i am a super solder soldier and can do soic if no other choice becomes apparent)

Was planning on upgrading a few caps as well.
suggestions welcome. I am only going to do one unit first and see if i can make is usuable.

here are the schems..

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9466/255tpsiipage1yv7.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6339/255tpsiipage2jt4.jpg

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/3752/255tpsiipage3hl1.jpg

i have no idea if these come out as links or what...
i use firefox on OSX and everything is always goofy on forums as far as code and links.....

I had a quick look over the schems, nothing wrong with TL074's etc when they
are set up correctly.
Tube may be a bit of a "light bulb" but just swopping out stuff without circuit adjustments
seems a bit silly.
If there have been compromises on caps for instance, then using some better quality ones
in a LOT of locations may clean things up and possibly some more PSU filtering etc.
See the recent Mackie 8 Bus thread with all the cap changes !!

MM.

i'm sure tube wise...its probally a high gain china made tube.
i refuse to use any of my good stock of tubes in a unit that does not really utilize the tube itself...
I'll put it in some shredder's amp
i will probally look at some of my older groove tubes and 12ax7wa sovteks and try out a EI smooth plate and see what else i have laying around in the "whatever" pile that cleans it up a bit. Some of the sovtek 12ax7wa's are a decently clean tube as they are completely different from tube to tube.
No 5751's, telefunkens or the like for this thing though :cool:
will have to see what caps they used when i get this unit in my hands.

some of today's "tube" units are complete B.S.
they only put a tube in so they can say it is a tube based unit even though it really isn't being used in a effective manner.

lipstick on a pig....

It's one of those thigs i need to do , another member gave me a BL
modded art pre and i need to fix a stock one to record & compare them
[ may have the mod info , some of which people like Dorsey do not
agree with , taking out caps where they are needed ]

up grade the small caps with poly or film , could if enough room
make non polar caps back to back with electrolytics [ not sure if it
would be worth it ] is there room for a tube blend or bypass control ?

i don't know how much room there is in there...
i am half away across the US from where the units are at. My friend is shipping me one to see what i can do with it.

Hi all, I realize this thread is ancient, but I'm looking to replace a bad toroid transformer on my ART TPS II and want to check the schemos before wiring to the PCB. mrphotodude (or others), would greatly appreciate if you could repost the schematics as the original pages are long gone.
Thx,
Pat

Sisu MT said:
Hi all, I realize this thread is ancient, but I'm looking to replace a bad toroid transformer on my ART TPS II and want to check the schemos before wiring to the PCB. mrphotodude (or others), would greatly appreciate if you could repost the schematics as the original pages are long gone.
Thx,
Pat

The original poster doesn't log in here since 2016...

You better of contacting ART directly for the schematics they are known to provide schematics for repair in the past.
Be sure to let them know you need the schematic to repair your unit

Regards

Thanks @Whoops. I ended up getting a toroid with two 18V secondary voltages from Digikey. Worked perfectly (after wiring the new toroid to the wiring harness that I cut off the old toroid correctly). (A reminder to anyone attempting such a repair... Please remember to disconnect power when working inside the device like this!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201120-142132.png
    Screenshot_20201120-142132.png
    2 MB · Views: 22
Back