You do WHAT for a living?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your excuse for DIY gear?

• Musician

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Technician

• Engineer (music)

• Engineer (radio/tv)

• Engineer (live sound)

• Homestudio (studio at home)

• Homestudio (bedroom)

• None of the above - I have no excuse...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nickt

I confess - I don't work in a studio, do live sound or repair pro sound gear.

But what do you do... eh?

Disclosure: These days I write risk software for a huge bank for a living. Before that repaired scientific instruments, before that was a "pro" musician
(yeah right - on the dole with $25 extra from playing 5 gigs a week! :roll: :oops: ). Always been into electronics and music since 13.
Trying to get back into it by building guitar amps and a home studio. :cool:

I'm a freshman adviser at a college. That's what I do for living.

I also have a home studio, am a musician and have a little DIY parts store. Those are for fun :)

I'm a technician.

Doing less and less tech work these days as a result of a software workflow.

Some of our client's don't even use guitar amps and microphones anymore so I do a lot of sitting around. (but I still get paid so...)

By day, I'm the audio director of a video game company.

At night, I turn on the Hammond organ or soldering iron. Well, after reading bedtime stories, negotiating the brushing of teeth, begging, pleading and cajoling to put on your jammies, etc.

I did play bass and did live sound for a living until 2004 before I started to teach audio, lighting and stageing in a professional school. So far pretty much everything in the poll fits for me. Musician, studio at work, studio at home, I´m teching all our gear, still doing live sound,....

When I lost my job as a television director in late '04, I picked up a hammer and decided to forge weapons for a living.

Since I am a composer and player, when I wasn't forging I was also doing 'bent' audio devices, ripping apart old radios, 8-track players, etc,. and putting them back together into something that amplified or something that modulated.

Consequently, I got a hold of and assembled some melcor, API, fairchild, and dukane parts and ended up buying and fixing a whole lot of 'problem child' condenser microphones. Thus, I ended up with a home studio, and I started making a few bucks here and there recording bands.

I also have a catalog of over 300 songs, most of them rough-drafted in my home studio to the point of listenability.

Meanwhile, the blacksmithing was waning as Chinese knives flooded the market, many of them remarkably identical to my own traditional Chinese/Japanese inspired handmade weapons. While the market was slipping and the return was getting squeezed for the weapons, I was picking up small-engine rebuilding.

For the last year, I have been making money rebuilding motorcycles mostly. Frustrated with the whole mess and the fact that I haven't found a "real" job in 3-4 years now, I got a job working for a mom & pop (literally) computer networking/repair shop in town and I"m back in college with all 'A's, probably for computer science.

I make my living on the road hacking away at those PM5Ds and Venue consoles, wishing I could plug my DIY gear into them. Also have a small bedroom studio (or mixing station).

My daytime job (and nighttime..) is as a musician (bass) and music teacher.

Recording is a hobby for fun and pocket money. I've helped friends with studios and great ears out, cause they didn't knew how to use a soldering iron. Whish I had greater ears tho...

Now I mostly do mobile recordings cause my bedroom is too small :wink:

I have always done exactly what Ive wanted at the time. from assembly at the old MCI plant, to building and recording at the top studios in my town, some small towns (one big one) but they were the top (one independant label of the year and one with the Allman brothers personal studio). now at a huge complex and working on only top end studio gear with the tops guys. I have always worked with much better peoeple than me and thats not too hard! Having an overly humble / realistic attitude of my skills, I usually dont get paid too much, anywhere, I would have already spent it and would be just as broke as I am now. Hell I almost put some money in the stock market 2 years ago. But now I have a marshall and a les paul and a neve pre. now that is an investment that will have returns.

Ah if i only had one or two of my Marshalls back ...................

i do several of the poll items and always in a casual / freelence way
if i work half the time and can pay the bills , then i have enough time
to look after my girls and only need to find joy in those two things
It's all good

I'm a broadcast engineer working in television. My job is unusual in the field in that it involves a fair amount of sound reinforcement teching in addition to studio and remote work.

Small businessman... I do a little bit, to a lot, of everything.

Everything from helping write my own patent, designing analog and digital circuitry, laying out PCB, designing aluminum and plastic extrusion, faceplate artwork, web site management, software design and coding, book keeping, tax returns, final assembly, testing, shipping, whatever it takes.

JR

Broadcast engineers unite again.

I'm a MCR (master control room) engineer and work with local studios, outside broadcasts, UK news, and fibre/satellite distribution of material for the EBU/Eurovision amongst other things.

I was a fulltime self employed recording and mastering engineer for years before becoming seriously ill about 3 years ago. Not being able to work consistently along with the expense of finishing a home build just as I got sick meant that by last September I needed to get a regular job.

I had been self employed in music for all most all of my adult life so I struggled to figure out what I could be now that I had to grow up. I ended up working as a project director for an events management company. I manage corporate sponsorship programmes mostly in music related areas. The downturn means that my hours have been cut which allows me to work half in the studio and half on my day job. I'm pretty happy about that.

Just about the only thing I could do when I was really sick was hang out here and learn about electronics. It was a form of addiction I used to keep the reality of my situation at bay and it has been a really positive thing.

Sorry for the long one..

Cheers,
Ruairi

Back