You do WHAT for a living?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your excuse for DIY gear?

• Musician

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Technician

• Engineer (music)

• Engineer (radio/tv)

• Engineer (live sound)

• Homestudio (studio at home)

• Homestudio (bedroom)

• None of the above - I have no excuse...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have two jobs. I work as a salesgirl in a hardware store and as a repair tech in an audio/visual shop - I do the amps and tube stuff mostly. I make a little extra playing an occassional gig or making some custom equipment that the Audio/Visual Service wouldn't touch ,like a pair of replica 1176Ds or a faux '64 Deluxe Reverb. A funnier list is the one of jobs I've HAD: supervisor of a blind painting crew (I'm NOT kidding), waitress, receptionist for a TV station (WHYY in Philly), catalog model (specifically "leg" model), salad chef, bicycle messenger, computre systems network engineer, guitar player in touring band (1978 to 1992), bartender, precision brazer/welder for a small firm that built robotic arms.

Kiira

I worked at a furniture warehouse in high school.

I worked as a 2nd shift supervisor at an IT support center in early college.

I worked at Bellsouth as an EET for a short while during late college.

I worked at a startup designing computer based high-end A/V equipment(like TIVO before there was a TIVO) right after college.

I worked at a robotics company designing power supplies and motor drives at first and then moved to designing the mechanicals as well.

I now work as an RF engineer designing tuners for coax broadband testing devices.

Who knows what the future will bring.

I always played drums and guitar since I was a kid.  I didn't get serious until I was in high school though.  When I started working with sounds cards at the A/V startup I figured that I could just build my own gear and ended up finding Tech Talk while I was looking for schematics on the internet one night. 

So I DIY for fun.

I'm a union carpenter NYC Local 608. Unfortunately I can no longer call myself a professional musician. While it was always a second job, I played 2 or 3 gigs a week very steadily up until about 8 years ago. (Guitar, vocals).Now I have a bedroom studio that will one day move to my garage. That is the light at the end of the tunnel after gutting and rebuilding every room in my house.  I only have one bathroom and some cabinetry in the kitchen to go. But I do the jobs piecemeal as money becomes available. Something tells me the studio will get finished in record time once it is started 

Back