What Cool or Good value items DON'T come from China ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgb

May not be much help to people in other countries but

Any " sleeper " items , maybe not flashy but good value
things get made in your country ?

In Canada there is some decent wood furnature made in Quebec
that competes with the Chinese mystery wood [ looks like maple ?]
this avoids some shipping cost and is quite good .

and everyone with a tap is selling bottled water , a real crapshoot there

anyone ?

We've got some furniture that's well priced and made in BC. I bought a parallel port card for a PC and it was made in Canada. Surprised me! Bosch and Skil power tools - you have to look carefully at country of manufacture, but USA and Mexico. At Ikea we picked up a nice rug, made in Egypt, and there were also very nice, real, Persian rugs, and you know where they are made.

-Dale

yeah , B.C. & Quebec where there are good [ hardwood ? ] forests
Furnaces while i'm researching to buy a new one seem to be made
mostly in the U.S. [ of course the electronic components ............? ]

And everyone has their own beer , can't beat that !

New vacuum cleaner recently, shocked to see it was made in Germany...

... the weird & unjustified thought then arose that it could actually have been lower in cost then... were they too lazy to move production to China ?! :cool: :wink:

Feels good to see stuff still produced in the old world :thumb:

[quote author="JohnRoberts"]Beer...

Tsing Tao is not worth the trouble IMO.

JR[/quote]

Ah,

Just try the rice wine.

Zippo lighters are about the the only thing of value still being made in the USA.

John beat me to the beer!
Tweezerman tweezers, clippers, etc. They are slowly moving production to Pakistan, and moved away from LI because of taxes, but their main production is in Texas.
Maglite, Xcelite, Joseph Aboud (my fit in suits), Sterilite plastic storage bins in my shop, are the first things that come to mind, but there are many things around here.
Mike
PS: love the furniture from Canada, but they keep the better beer to themselves, those porter hoarders!

Thorlo socks are still made in the USA. They are also, by far, the best socks known to man. I have several pairs that are well over two years old and I wear each pair about once a week. Other brands last anywhere from a couple of months (total crap) to maybe 9 months. They're also very comfortable and the elastic doesn't wear out before holes appear in the heel or toe.

Purdy paintbrushes are made in the USA. Excellent quality. Well worth the price differential at your local Big Box.

Eminence makes their speakers in Kentucky (USA). I have three different 12"ers in guitar duty and they are very nice.

Rickenbacker still makes all their instruments in SoCal (USA).

Gallien-Krueger makes their RB series amps in the USA (though I imagine lots of the bits and pieces are from elsewhere).

CineMag makes their transformers in SoCal.

A P

[quote author="gyraf"]Brüel&Kjaer, NTP, Fairman, Lyrec, B&O, Danfield, Tubetech - and Gyraf :razz:[/quote]

but they soon come from Harman :wink:

Are you going to Frankfurt next time, Jakob?

[quote author="SSLtech"]Dyson airblade.[/quote]

Have you used this beast Keith? I'm a little confused by it...is it supposed to be a commercial or residential product?

I love my Dyson vacuum. When you have 3 cats and a dog you search high and low for a great vacuum. (Although off topic because they are made in Malaysia)

Mike

PS: With the exception of the PCB's and the Me....all the products at Hairball are made in the USA.

[quote author="Echo North"]I love my Dyson vacuum. When you have 3 cats and a dog you search high and low for a great vacuum. (Although off topic because they are made in Malaysia)[/quote]
Last time I checked Malaysia was not part of China! :razz:

[quote author="Echo North"]
I love my Dyson vacuum. When you have 3 cats and a dog you search high and low for a great vacuum. (Although off topic because they are made in Malaysia).[/quote]

+1. Not to continue OT (I don't live in Malaysia), but I didn't want to believe the hype. It's worth every penny. I have two cats and a three year old.

Perfect segue for sodderboy to talk about his 40 year old made in the USA vacuum...

"Martin DXME Dreadnought Electro Acoustic" - Made in the US of A !!

Just picked one up, it's a birthday present from my "better half" with me and
her parents "chipping in" too.
Used but a 100% mint one and it plays VERY well, just cleaned it up and
fitted a new set of strings, came with a hard case and has a Fishman circuit
in it.
Acousticly it sounds full and bright, it will be a great "all rounder" for recording etc.
Have to wait 'til November 17th to use it properly though :roll:

Best one from about 7 others, including Tanglewood / Aria and a "Big baby Taylor"

MM

Latest posts

Back