DDA " S" Channel Host? ( Schematics posted at bottom of thread..!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the master section I would try to change the IC3 with a LME type quad opamp, and get rid of the tl074 ballanced drivers and replace it with a 1:1 transformer.
Mabye there is space enough for a ACA summing board in there ( from Jeff) and rebuild the whole thing :)

joe

Hello. Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'm trying to get as many options as I can before I have someone take a shot at this thing. ( lol).. Anyone else has advice? Thanks..!

Hi There !

I just finished my DI and re- amp comparison test. The test is for recording heavily distorted guitars (sound kinda like Carcass Heartwork, Cannibal Corpse... Well, Colin Richardson)

The stuff I used for comparison :
DI's : JLM audio, Radial Engineering J-48, Little Labs red eye, Focusrite platinum channelstrip.

Micpre's:
SSL sl501, Siemens V72, Siemens U274, my racked dual channel DDA M (same as S series) series with BB OPA2604 upgrade, and the Focusrite platinum.

Re-ampers :
The Focusrite and the Little Labs Red Eye.

I expected the Little Labs to win as DI and Re-amper.. But it wasn't !

For recording the "Dry" guitar, the micpre was the factor which mattered the most, and the U274 and the DDA were the winners. While re-amping to a Fender TwinReverb, the "D-I'ed" guitar recorded through the DDA sounded the fattest, yet clear. The U274 was even a bit fatter,  but also a bit too close to  "Over the edge" rancid. It went to the swedish deathmetal sound (like entombed, dismember... Thomas Skogsberg !)

The DI's didn't give a big difference, although the JLM and the Radial gave a bit clearer sound than the Little Labs (which is a passive DI btw)

the Re-amper test..... I didn't expect that the focusrite would be so much better than the Little Labs......

Anyhow, I post this here, because of the victory of the DDA !

I'll do a micpre comparison test soon.

Latest posts

Back