Heating my garage....kerosene or propane?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therecordingart

I have a one car garage that I want to heat while I solder/build stuff this winter.

I don't want to die of CO poisioning and there is a risk with both. Which do you think would work best and why?

I installed a vented 45K BTU spaceheater (propane ver.) like this (from ePay):

3e72_1.JPG

Total cost delivered (and installed) to me in WI was about $600 last year and a refill of two 100lb LP tanks will cost about $120.00. That will be enough for about 1 1/2 months of operation, nights and weekend.

Its power vented to the outside so there are no unsightly suffocations.

Maybe insulate your garage door first, then try an electric solution - like a space heater - you know those things shaped like radiators?.
And a sweatshirt.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to risk being found dead hunched over my soldering iron.

Kerosene leaves an odor, you can get a propane space heater with a stone. Looks like an old gas heater, Mr Buddy is a small unit on the market. the stone acts as a catalytic convertor and is supposedly clean burning. Of course it consumes oxygen, so the room will need to have a vent of some sort. As long as you are awake, you'll be safe.

kerosene,propane... both are dangerous. i've got to go along with the insulation and electric space heater. i know many consider these dangerous too. much of that is from years ago. the electric heaters are much safer now.

I picked up a 4800W electric that is run on 220v

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=901508&Ntt=901508&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112123&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

I did this same thing with a propane heater for a while in my garage....it might be oderless, but I could taste it & it always bugged me. After a while I went to Sears & bought a window unit that both heats & cools for about $400.00. It works great, circulates the air, so it heats & cools evenly through out the room, doesn't have on odor or a taste & I never have to worry about refilling propane or kerosene containers. My garage is small enough that I can turn on the unit & be comfortable in just a few minutes. This gave me a great place to work on my projects, because I can remain comfortable while working for hours on end, regardless what the weather is doing.

Latest posts

Back