new forum look?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will like it, once I embrace "change".  More important I appreciate all the effort that must have gone into this.  Thank you!  I'll have to look for that "babylon" setting now.
Mike
PS: it is a little funny, reading an old pucho post filled with :thumb: , :smile: and :sam adams: stuff all over it.

I like it, but the main problem is the links in some posts that links to other threads, that are in the old place now, so we can't reach it. Could you make some kind of easy redirect to the newer versions of the same threads?

yes, it would be better to return to the old path http://www.groupdiy.com/forum instead of http://www.groupdiy.com
no external link works, and some internals were not changed accordingly.
that means all other forums linking here show "Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

-max

ioaudio said:
that means all other forums linking here show "Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later."
-max

No.  They should get redirected here.

rafafredd said:
I like it, but the main problem is the links in some posts that links to other threads, that are in the old place now, so we can't reach it. Could you make some kind of easy redirect to the newer versions of the same threads?
Which threads exactly?  They're all "here".  Its just a matter of making sure the path is right.  Can you give me an example of which thread links you're talking about?

Ethan said:
ioaudio said:
-max

No.  They should get redirected here.

Local links which use url= to refer to forum posts (such as [Sorry I mangled this link while testing, please reenter JDB]this one) get the "Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later."-treatment too.

JDB.

After some thought...

As for outside links that point to specific topics, even if I were to change the path back to /forum/ they still will not work because the path syntax pointing to a topic is still different.  Outside links will have to be changed manually by their authors.

The embedded links within the forum that use "URL=", I should be able to fix.

when i view the new forum on my blackberry i get some kind of stripped down version with no pictures and no way to reply????  never used to happen with the old forum software? any ideas.

Get an iPhone? ;)

I don't know what kind of browser the blackberry uses, so I'm not sure what to tell ya.  My iPhone uses a stripped down version of Safari and it seems to work fine.  Anyone else with a Blackberry have any info?

Ethan said:
After some thought...

As for outside links that point to specific topics, even if I were to change the path back to /forum/ they still will not work because the path syntax pointing to a topic is still different.  Outside links will have to be changed manually by their authors.

The embedded links within the forum that use "URL=", I should be able to fix.

Fair enough.

Then again, if you want me (or someone with more PHP-experience) to code a simple redirector script to handle the majority of cases (viewtopic.php?t=nnnnn and viewtopic.php?p=nnnnn), just say the word.

JDB.

Sure, I could use all the help I can get.  Just email it to me and I'll apply it to the topic and post pages of the old software.  The only thing that kept me from wanting to do this initially is that it still requires me to keep those files on the server.  Not a big deal, but not the cleanest solution, eh...  ya know?

OK, I got it.  The easiest and most practical global way of "fixing" all the links between the URL tags was to eliminate the URL tags altogether.
I think this works out for best anyway, not only so that links remain future-proof, but I like the idea of everyone being able to see the full path of what they're clicking on easily, so they can quickly decide whether they want to go there or not. 

I've been giving great thought to how you would write a converter for say: "viewtopic.php?t=12345 and viewtopic.php?p=12345"  that would get you to "http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=30317.60"
There is no fixed relationship, is there? When the database was converted, it assigned new numbers to all the threads, right?

Topic numbers are the same.
The numbers after the "." in this new software refer to the individual post # in the topic.

Is anyone else having problems getting "Email "Notification"?

I've tried everything & it hasn't worked since the change over. :(

I love the "Email "Notification LIST"... very cool... but it doesn't notify me.

Larrchild said:
Ha, I wonder if you could train the text sanitizer option to replace url's?
We're already doing that with internal links.

Ethan said:
OK, I got it.  The easiest and most practical global way of "fixing" all the links between the URL tags was to eliminate the URL tags altogether.
I think this works out for best anyway, not only so that links remain future-proof, but I like the idea of everyone being able to see the full path of what they're clicking on easily, so they can quickly decide whether they want to go there or not.

Please don't. The url= tag is indispensable in making (all too common) long links manageable without widening the page viewport (such as this one: http://search.ebay.com/stylistic-lt-2300-3400-battery_W0QQcombineZyQQfcdZ1QQfclZ3QQfromZR10QQfromZR9QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQftidZ2QQsaatcZ146QQsatitleZstylisticQ20Q28ltQ2c2300Q2c3400Q29Q20Q2dbatteryQQsotrZ2QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEFSRCHQ3aSRCH ; although it would seem that this version of the forum software has a slightly saner way of handling long links than the old one).

EDIT: I see you already did..... is there any way you could revert this? IMNSHO this is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I'll see if I can code a replacement viewtopic.php over the weekend.

JDB.

Latest posts

Back