D-aoc Questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seavote

have my pcb populated. read the help thread and the kubi mod thread more than a few times and still have some questions. please help!!
1: no cash at the moment for meters can i just run the compressor without them?

2: can some one walk me through the stereo link hook up?  i'm not sure how this works. with the stereo link engaged will one set of parameter controls effect both channels of the Daoc or do i have this all wrong?

3: i'm planning on doing the kubi full wave vactrol mod. if i read the thread right kubi suggest that additional LEDs are not required if the fullwave mod is installed. maybe not required but would they offer more options??  (maybe a roatery switch with 2 like LEDs  in reverse polarity wired in parallel to each leg of the switch?)

Thanks kubi! i saw your drawing for bypassing the second vactrol and using additional LEDs at the mod thread. i'll hook the circuit up that way.
can you tell me what the function of the stereo link is? i dont understand. whats is the difference between two mono channels with parameter settings matched going into 2 hard panned inputs and the same setup with the stereo link engaged? maybe if i understand that i can figure out how to hook the circuit up myself.

the function on a stereo link at a compressor ?

it doesn't mean the controls are linked (in some rare compressors this is an additional function / feature)
it makes the compression reaction the same for the linked channels

ok now that i know what the stereo link accomplishes,i'm wondering how it does this. i took a look at the schematic the stereo link on the schematic is represent by one audio send befor the vactrol and one after. i cant see how the gain reduction from one can effect the other without somehow combining (summing)the signals. and this would create  signals that were replicas of each other negating any stereo image. can some one explain(simple terms for a dummy like me) "how" the link works? ???and how to hook up the circuit?

seavote said:
i cant see how the gain reduction from one can effect the other without somehow combining (summing)the signals. and this would create  signals that were replicas of each other negating any stereo image. can some one explain(simple terms for a dummy like me) "how" the link works?

The Vactols are there only in the sidechain. And a sidechains only function is to create a control signal for the audio signal amp stage of the compressor. You might know that a compressor is basically just an automated volume knob. What stereo linking does is simply combine (several ways to accomplish this) the two control signals so that only one sidechain signal is controlling the volume knob (audio gain stage) for both channels.

If you have two independent sidechains controlling the two audio channels (two independent automated volume knobs), your stereo image will be all over the place (which works well sometimes).

:p doh!! thanks, i was not seeing the circuit correctly. i was seeing the side chain audio as the audio signal at the output not as a signal used to control the output.now it seems so obvious i'll take a look at the schematic and see if i can figure out how to hook this up.  is it - to - and + to + side of the diode hooked up to a double pole single throw switch??  help?

bump  sorry im dense but any way i think this through the signal gets summed and with the switch in the other position no signal at all. i know i need more poles. please walk me through this.  :'(

stereo.png

switch is shown in dual mono position

:) thanks silent. i can see how this works(looking at schematic and pcb layout). each channels ground is already connected via the pcb ground plane. so why the dual molex connector.? obviously this is an insideous plot to confuse me. 8)

[quote author=seavote]so why the dual molex connector.?[/quote]
- there is no single molex available
- for using shielded cable (but don't connect the shield at the switch)
- to confuse people ;D

Back