Purusha S800 4U case assembly

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purusha

Hello to all, I am sick so I can't do much now, but I took a bit of a time to make a few photos
which should help you to put together the 4U S800 cases you are about to receive very soon.

FRONT PANEL

S8004-1.jpg

CLOSE UP

S8004-2.jpg

INSIDE. You will get also the L profile brackets to mount the boards on them.

S8004-3.jpg

There was a small miscalculation on my side so you will need to chip off a bit of a side panel
for the screws to come through. On top of these screws you will put then the standoffs (not included).

S8004-4.jpg

PSU board with standoffs. Next to the closest left standoff you see another
screw punched in, this one is here for the grounding point.

S8004-5.jpg

SIDE BRACKETS.

S8004-6.jpg

You need to mount this right to get the distance between the front 2 panels.

S8004-7.jpg

HI CUT POTS

Another important thing you will need to do is to make cutouts above every hi-cut pot.
Somehow we missed this one and it comes just too close to the lip of the second panel.
I used a saw and it took me only one minute to make one cut like on the photos below.

S8004-8.jpg

S8004-9.jpg

If there are any questions please ask.

Back panel needs Neutrik D series XLRs or 25pin D-subs. IEC should be with fuse included.
There is also a cut out for a smaller square type of power switch. Make it bigger if needed.

Have fun  ;)

The 2nd aluminum front panel is there so that you attach the pots with the nuts too, and that you don't see the nuts, correct?

Yes, that is the idea. In this way you get highly professional looking EQ rack  ;)

BTW, the LED holes are 3mm only so you can drill them up to your needs.
In this way you are not left with only one choice for LED holders.
Personally I will use small black plastic LED holders.

I think it is pretty easy.

The big L bracket is shown in the photo how to mount it.

Regarding the PCBs and L brackets you have two type.
The higher and lower. I will make some photos later.

thx Purusha , I understood those things.
I meant : don't we need some "spacers" to keep the pcb "straight" (perpendicular to front panel) ???
;D

What are the size of the nuts needed to mount the L brackets?

Also - on the 1 RU unit - how do you suggest mounting the PSU board?

and finally, any tips on mounting the power transformer in both the 1 and 4 space chassis?  Are nylon zip ties an acceptable way of securing a toroid to the chassis?

What are the size of the nuts needed to mount the L brackets?

Talking from my head I think it's M3 but better check this out.

Also - on the 1 RU unit - how do you suggest mounting the PSU board?

I would mount it on the right side behind the audio boards and next to the IEC and toroid.

and finally, any tips on mounting the power transformer in both the 1 and 4 space chassis?  Are nylon zip ties an acceptable way of securing a toroid to the chassis?

I always make a hole for some longer screws to hold in the toroid. In 4U I suggest to mount it on the right side rack panel. In 1U next to the IEC on the bottom.

What IEC connector and power switch were you intending to go into this??  I can't find anything that remotely fits, and I'd rather not hack this thing up.  Do you have part numbers for what you ordered and made these holes for??

Thanks,
Sig

Hello?  Seems like the IEC has been punched the wrong way - sideways.  They fit that way, but then putting in the left screw hole appears to be problematic.  And what switch was this designed for?  I can't find any with this size.  Would have preferred either just a hole or nothing for this personally.

Also, all the holes in the front panel appear to need redrilling - the holes have been painted and therefore the pots, which fit quite tight, won't turn properly and bind.  Can we confirm this?  That's a lot of holes...

Would also have been nice to get a few more inches depth, it's so damn tight in there once you get it all put together.

Thanks,
Sig

Latest posts

Back