Eckmiller W86a EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soeren_DK

Someone here knows something about this Eq modul?
Maybe some pinout diagrams? Or help to understand the diagram in the diagram? Should it be powered
I have bought 3 of those but haven't tried them out yet so I don't know if they will work as a master EQ low and high.

Diagram can be found here:
http://mentol.dk/diy/upload/eckmiller_w86a.pdf
http://mentol.dk/diy/upload/eckmiller_w86a.jpg
...I do not speek german very well. :-\

Cheers friends ;D
Soeren Sailor

Balanced input and balanced output. It is passive, so no power required. But you need 34 dB (if I remember right) amplification after the eq. You can test it by using a mic amplifier. It has balanced input and provides the needed gain.

[silent:arts] said:
passive with 34dB insertion loss is right. originally you put a V72 after the Eckmiller, but a VX72 will work fine too.
Thanks ;D
What is a V72? Something DIY I can build?
I have a plan putting them in a rack case and mayby it would be posible to build a preamp in the case as well.
How is the sound in them?
Is it worth spending a rackcase, frontpanel and maybe a preamp on?

Cheers mates
Soeren Sailer

I think V72 (antique German broadcast amp) is quite expensive alternative...

Using these as mastering equalisers is problematic because of their high insertion loss. It means that the output noise level is also high (after the amplification).

If you want lowest possible noise, the best modern alternative is to connect a mic preamp after the eq (set gain to 34 dB). You can find examples of two-transistor-one-opamp mic preamps on this forum.

Connecting the eq:
pins 1 and 2 = balanced input
pins 7 and 8 = to mic pre input
pin 5 = signal ground

Damn it.  ???
Why am I never lucky. I thought this old equipment always was a good deal. dooh.
I have an Great River MP-2NV I will put it through and listen to it tomorrow..

Thanks for the help.
Cheers
Soeren Sailor

No... You are VERY lucky, those eqs sounds awesome.

Also try the amplification before the eq, not just after the eq! for a different character (inductor saturation)

;)

Synthi

Synthi is right. They are good for mastering (accurate and repeatable curves, very high build quality etc.) if you can live with the relatively high noise. In some cases there is too much noise, in some other not. It depends on your application (type of music).

Besides the V72, what kind of makeup amp do you folks use? This will for shure affect the final flavor.

yes, the amp will have a imprint on the sound, and thats something desirable 8at least for me). I used almost every preamp I have (try it!), but usually when I go for thick and clean I put a neumann V476 after the w86, and for fat coloured a Telefunken V672, before or after the eq, to taste. I also tried using V74s and sound is great!

Synthi

Normally I make New York sounding hiphop so noise is not so harmful at all ;)

But I tried them yesterday with the Great River preamp after the eq AND Woav. They sounded very well. A warm and harmonising sound...  :D ;)
There was some noise but not enough to provoke me.
When I turn the knobs I can hear some crackle. Mayby some Cleaning spray could help. In danish we call it Switch cleaner(Direct translated).
Should the cleaning spray be with oil og not?

Best regards
Soeren

Soeren_DK said:
When I turn the knobs I can hear some crackle. Mayby some Cleaning spray could help. In danish we call it Switch cleaner(Direct translated).

I'd be very careful with cleaning sprays. Some can be very agressive and might do more harm than benefit. If there are no contact-problems when you aren't switching I'd leave it alone or clean the contacts with a cotton stick if necessary. Some switching noise might actually be normal.

Michael

Michael Tibes said:
Soeren_DK said:

I'd be very careful with cleaning sprays. Some can be very agressive and might do more harm than benefit. If there are no contact-problems when you aren't switching I'd leave it alone or clean the contacts with a cotton stick if necessary. Some switching noise might actually be normal.

Michael

Thanks for the info Michael..

Anybody got a .fpd flie for theese moduls

Best regards
Soeren

Back