Bad solder joints giving you hard time? You aren't alone.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingston

So you screwed up with your solder joints and ended up with weeks of debugging work.

You had it easy compared to these guys!

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13460

Ouch!

A solder joint that cost $21million dollars!  :-[

I find it kind of funny that the first picture is someone soldering an nine pin valve socket.

It makes me wonder at the kind of solder they use anyway given the low temperatures. Any of our solder joints would probably be a "bad" one to them!

Rob

This is sad, although it pales in comparision to the damage done by the tech who put this one optical system test component in upside down when they were making the Hubble mirror.  They still treat his identity as top secret from what I have heard.

one word "ouch" how would you like to be that guy? well at least nobody got hurt.

Cheers to all the particle accelerators out there!

When one small mistake brings down a project or a company, it is NEVER the fault of the person who made the mistake, but rather a fundamental design flaw affecting the robustness of the system.  This applies to organizational structures too.  If a medium to large company tanks because one employee quits, dies, or is fired, the company wasn't robust to begin with and would have failed regardless.  One person, part, or isolated action should never be mission critical.

It makes me wonder what will happen next to this project.  Serves them right for using PCB mounted tubes.  ;)

-Chris

Emperor-TK said:
When one small mistake brings down a project or a company, it is NEVER the fault of the person who made the mistake, but rather a fundamental design flaw affecting the robustness of the system.  This applies to organizational structures too.  If a medium to large company tanks because one employee quits, dies, or is fired, the company wasn't robust to begin with and would have failed regardless.  One person, part, or isolated action should never be mission critical.

It makes me wonder what will happen next to this project.  Serves them right for using PCB mounted tubes.  ;)

-Chris

One guy at Harman described how the automotive group tried to have a system so well-documented that if the place was nuked with a neutron bomb they would be up and running with a whole new crew in a few days...

The Hubble was a classic case of rival bureaucracies, at least to the extent the wrong figure of the mirror went undetected (until of course after launch!), and some headstrong managers who insisted that optical testing of a conventional sort would fall far short of telling them anything.  The Defense Dept. offered the use of their equipment "across the street", but the civilians disdained their assistance.  It was also not in the budget to crate up the mirror and transport it.

EDIT:  And what might be added is that the optical test component, a glass rod with one highly reflective end, was not following the principles of "poka yoke"; the tech involved got a laser bounce off the wrong end and thought he was using it properly.  But it was the wrong end, which IIRC was slightly rounded---but still reflective enough to get a measurement.

Back