evm1024

open source - free- schematic capture software
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:54:50 PM »

I'm starting up a new project and I'm looking for an open source/free schematic capture program to use. Searching did not turn up anything I could see in the first few pages of results.

The question is: What open-source/free schematic capture program do you recommend.

Ease of use for the noob could be very useful too.

Thanks, Ethan

Ptownkid

Re: open source - free- schematic capture software
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 09:03:37 PM »

TomWaterman

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 09:38:58 AM »
There is one called dipfree which is supposedy good, but I haven't used it.

-T

blandman74

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »

TinyCAD is what I use.  It's occasionally buggy, but never catastrophically buggy.  Accessing the device libraries is convoluted, and many of the devices have strange pin numberings, but that may be just compatability issues with my layout software, FreePCB.
"Everyday my mind grows keener, my good arm stronger, my silly enemies more futile." KK

Andy Peters

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »

I'm starting up a new project and I'm looking for an open source/free schematic capture program to use. Searching did not turn up anything I could see in the first few pages of results.

The question is: What open-source/free schematic capture program do you recommend.

Ease of use for the noob could be very useful too.

If you're into the Linux, you can try the gEDA suite. NB that they have no interest in supporting Windows, and while one would expect it to work on Mac OS X, there's a dependency of a dependency of a dependency (yes, it's that ridiculous) that will not build on OS X due to its maintainer hating that platform. (See, the world of Open Source isn't all peace and love.)

But if you're into the Linux, apt-get or yum can grab binaries and it should install without problems.

You can try the freeware version of Eagle, which has severe size restrictions (and Eagle has a gawd-awful user interface).

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band"

Ptownkid

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 12:32:20 PM »
lots of useful looking software there...too bad the layout of the page makes my brain hurt.