open source - free- schematic capture software

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evm1024

I'm starting up a new project and I'm looking for an open source/free schematic capture program to use. Searching did not turn up anything I could see in the first few pages of results.

The question is: What open-source/free schematic capture program do you recommend.

Ease of use for the noob could be very useful too.

Thanks, Ethan

TinyCAD is what I use.  It's occasionally buggy, but never catastrophically buggy.  Accessing the device libraries is convoluted, and many of the devices have strange pin numberings, but that may be just compatability issues with my layout software, FreePCB.

evm1024 said:
I'm starting up a new project and I'm looking for an open source/free schematic capture program to use. Searching did not turn up anything I could see in the first few pages of results.

The question is: What open-source/free schematic capture program do you recommend.

Ease of use for the noob could be very useful too.

If you're into the Linux, you can try the gEDA suite. NB that they have no interest in supporting Windows, and while one would expect it to work on Mac OS X, there's a dependency of a dependency of a dependency (yes, it's that ridiculous) that will not build on OS X due to its maintainer hating that platform. (See, the world of Open Source isn't all peace and love.)

But if you're into the Linux, apt-get or yum can grab binaries and it should install without problems.

You can try the freeware version of Eagle, which has severe size restrictions (and Eagle has a gawd-awful user interface).

-a

Back