Metric Halo 2882 how to increase gain?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofmickel

I have recently purchased a Metric Halo 2882 and was wondering if there were a way to increase the usable gain range. It is only 42db now. This is fine for tracking drums and other loud instruments but somewhat lacking for VO work. I have taken it apart and had a look inside. There are TI 2072 at the input stages. Is there a replacement that would allow more gain? I am not afraid to try stuff on this.

Attachments

• 2882-input-guts.jpg
    2882-input-guts.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 76
Doesn't that go against the basic premise of this site? I know they increase headroom/gain at Black Lion. Should there not be a quite similar mod for this piece of gear? I already have an SCA with three of their pres in it(twin servo, A12, N72), not that portable (heavy). I will research this more. Or, is the Metric Halo stuff off limits? I believe a mod on this box would encroach on the new 8ln coming in the next few weeks/months.

Ask on the MH users list.  I doubt that very many folks here have been inside a 2882, so they probably don't know the circuit well enough (or at all) to comment. 

Hodad is probably right.
Personally I know nothing about MH units, but many people speak well of the OPA series of opamps (OPA2604 and OPA2134, for example).  I don't know how much improvement you can expect just by changing the opamps, (if they're pin compatible with the ones in your unit, you may get away with it, and may even like the results). Sometimes, though, it requires swapping other parts, and without a schematic for the 2882 it'll be hard for someone to help you (and probably hard for you to help yourself, unless you're going to trace it out). I wouldn't be so keen to swap out SMD parts (I don't have the proper tools, nor steady enough hands) but if you are courageous enough, and willing to do some homework since there is probably not too much info about this, go for it, and if it is successful please come show it off so people can learn from your experience.

Hi

I had a 2882 for a few years and liked it a lot. I think the reason they terminated the gain at 42 db is that at any level higher that 32 db the noise level rises more than proportional. I don't think this will work.

btw I like it that you opened the box, I did that too !... but finally didn't change anything. Igor put this PGA2500 project up.  I suggest you do this if you want portable high quality. The PGA2500 blow the pants of a lot of so called high end preamps !  And of course they are a complete different class than the mh2882 pres.

Nicholas

Latest posts

Back