Anyone have specific vendor recommendation for chrome plating?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrr

Looking to chrome plate a rack chassis after machining.  I see a lot of choices online; few locally.  Just wondering if anyone's been through this lately. 

Hey Doug, have you thought about powder coating? There's some pretty convincing ultra-chrome powders out there (PBTP). With a clear coat it's pretty hard to tell the difference and you can DIY.  ;)

I have to mount 70 year old vintage chrome on a newly chromed chassis, so I need to go all out with someone who really knows what's what, and can do the real thing right.  I'll be checking the locals, trouble is there aren't many to choose from, and none immediately in town. 

Car nut here chiming in: trying to match the 'tint' of old chrome to new i realllly reaaallly hard. EPA restrictions eliminated many chemicals used in chrome plating, and the finished product these days is just not the same. Seems to always look different. It can also depend on the amount of the 'Nickel' stage used.

If we're doing a show-quality car here in CA, we send everything to SHERMS plating in Sacramento. They are very expensive, but they never warp pieces, and always turn out beautiful parts.

What piece are you racking? Would it be possible to plate the old face as well as the chassis?

b

B-A-R said:
Car nut here chiming in: trying to match the 'tint' of old chrome to new i realllly reaaallly hard. EPA restrictions eliminated many chemicals used in chrome plating, and the finished product these days is just not the same. Seems to always look different. It can also depend on the amount of the 'Nickel' stage used.

If we're doing a show-quality car here in CA, we send everything to SHERMS plating in Sacramento. They are very expensive, but they never warp pieces, and always turn out beautiful parts.

What piece are you racking? Would it be possible to plate the old face as well as the chassis?

b

You beat me to it b. That would be pretty hard to match up. b is right about the above mentioned. You could strip it then match them both but sounds like a nice vintage piece that you might not want to mess with. Is it possible to do a two tone? A powder coat black wrinkle finish (vintage look) might look really cool up against chrome. While maintaining the integrity of the vintage piece.  ;) 

I expected a match to be tough for all the reasons mentioned, and don't really expect it.  Be nice if I can get reasonably close for an already imperfect project.  Much like matching old paint; gotta figure out how to sneak some lead in sometimes.

The chrome transformer case seen here is one of the culprits.  9 of those 1937-41ish transformers.  Some already have pitting and rust spots, others perfect.  I'm doubtful you could successfully unpot, strip, and re-chrome those cans, nor would I want to.  I'm attempting to closely duplicate the original pieces structure and look as closely as possible.  Someone along the way hacked up one of the original pieces and I ended up with the transformer pile.  Kind of a ridiculous piece to try and put back together, and likely the only time I'll ever try a close clone job. 

2741373863_4d05c32b2d_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back