SSL Pre with JLM DI -> Big Hum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK!!

4 ch SSL9K, 2 w/ JLM FET DI kits. Loud hum only when DI is engaged. Joe says it should be a power supply issue and that it needs to be well regulated. Seems the supply to the regulator was only a hair above 48v. Output had some ripple.

First, thanks Joe for the useful and fast help. I installed one of the JLM AC/DC power supplies. It was clear that the stock 48 volt supply for phantom, was not enough, and that when I tried using the +18v supply for the work around you mentioned above, I lost a regulator. This was the 2nd time I had issues with the supply (blown regulator), mainly of my own doing. But seeing as how this was the 3rd time, I was not going to mess around. Get a supply with more than enough juice seemed to be the answer.

The AC/DC kit was REAL easy to build. Install and setup were fairly well documented. Final result, power supply did what it was supposed to, and both DI kits work great. I just put the case in the rack and this project is finished and working 100% as advertised. Damn it is quite.  ;D

Latest posts

Back