High Low Pass Filters Peaking????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardishead

I have some vintage HPF LPF units - RCA, Cinema, Langevin and Allison Labs. They are all awesome have a great sound but they all tend to boost the cutoff fequency. I thought this would be impossible being passive units - but I had a look on the Spectrum Analyser and sure enough there is a peak at the cut off frequency on all units. Can someone explain what is going on. I usually use them on inserts on my Neve desk. Is this environment causing a impedance issue which is contributing to this effect???
Should I terminate the inputs and outputs with 600 ohm resistors.

Yes, it's a termination issue.  If you want to know flatest for a given interface mess with some pots as series input and shunt output loads while measuring. 

clintrubber said:
tardishead said:
They are all awesome have a great sound but they all tend to boost the cutoff fequency. I thought this would be impossible being passive units -
L & C can do that.

Regards,

Peter

To make this more clear (and please allow me to cut a few corners w.r.t. the textbook version):
passive means there can't pop up power out of nowhere (no power-gain).

This doesn't mean that a signal voltage at the filter-output can't be larger than at the input,
this because of resonance.

Just like a transformer: passive component, yet V_out can be larger than V_in. Voltage is just one of the contributors
to power.
Might look at filter-resonance as an impedance-transformation as well (at that freq).

Bye,

Peter

Latest posts

Back