using the ssl9k balancing board on mixer output?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outoftune

i have a soundcraft 400b that has unbalanced master outs.

i am wondering if i can use the ssl9k balancing board to balance the outputs?

the current signal path is: summing amps > 10k stereo fader > 5532 fader buffer > unbalanced outs & PFL/control room out

are there any problems with taking a feed off of the 5532 and running that to the ins of the balancing board?

nielsk said:
no problem at all

thanks!

after searching around and thinking about this, i think i am going to use the ssl9k balancing board with a THAT CORP 1646 to drive a 600ohm tamura - using this circuit:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27426.msg331781#msg331781

Can you just replace the SSM2142 for a That 1646?

is it a direct replacement or you have to change some component values in the SSL9k balancing board?

drpat said:
When using these chips, you need to keep in mind that most of them boost the signal 6db, so if you want to maintain unity gain on your fader, you will need to pad them down 6db.

I successfully installed the 9k balancing boards on my 2mix and am wondering ho to deal with this. i am considering changing the gain of the stereo output fader buffer from ~+10db to about ~+6db.

is there any harm in doing this? my thoughts are that it will help to keep the noise slightly lower than the pad method?

Back