CHRISTMASS DIY PROJECT

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which poject do you want for Christmass?

• PGA2500 pre (Wiregain-DC)

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • 2254c-2254 soundpath/33609 compressor's sidechain with HPF

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Mastering quality Passive relay based Controll Room Unit

Votes: 70 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree, this project is fantastic.
The TRIM offsets + the "save" feature is really a killer combo.

But does 15 seconds of button pressed for SAVE  arent too much?
Maybe half the value, 8 seconds, IMO, is better..

About Matt's suggestion..
[for now I dont need at all the TB functionality, probably in future though.]
I subscribe, but..
think that having a D25 and a D9 from the remote unit to the racked box isnt so pratical..

Hi Matt!

In my case I use a personalized headphone monitoring system for the talent so won't need the amps, just a balanced/unbalanced signal to feed the headphone distribution amp so that talkback can be routed on a pair of of sends from the soundcard as you shared.

Does the combiner/phone amp takes it's power through the 9 pin D-SUB or will an ADDITIONAL power source be required for combiner/phone amp?

Nope. Talkback combiner powered from it's own trafo or 15-24V 0.3A AC wallwart.

In my commercially available version of CRM, TB combiner powered from 5V>(+/- 15)V
small DC/DC converter...yes, it solves ground issues, simple etc., but I think people prefer
common methods as trafo or wallwart.... :)

Wouldn't it make sense for the control unit to have the combiner/phone amp built into it as well, so one cable for the HDF15 connector to the control box and one 9 PIN D-SUB to the control box as well? It would do away with the need for an additional case and an electret mic would take up little space on the control box, assume there is enough space?

Some reasons. I thought to put electret mic with small amp into controll, then take it into
combiner placed in audio section, VGA cable has 5 shielded cables, so, 1 can be used for this.
But, it makes whole project a bit messy, mind, this is a DIY project....

If I read your schematic correctly 12VDC is sent out via the DSUB 9 so it could be utilized to power the combiner/phone amp if fitted to the control box?

No, only talkback command sent via DB-9.
Simplest way to mix talkback signal into phones, is phoresistor optos
or FET's. Photoresistor optocouplers doing it the best way, with
soft fade-in and fade-out (light memory effect). VTL5C2
have attack time 1.5 mS and release time approx. 1 sec...
Or, other way is photoresistor, 3mm red LED, and black shrink diam.6mm....

Maybe we could poll it and Purusha could offer 2 different control boxes, one that will accommodate the combiner/phone amp's have 2 headphone outs and and electret mic built in? it does away with the need for an additional 1U rack esp. if it only needs to contain a pair of headphone amps and the combiner circuit?

You can do same as I did....Put the talkback combiner into 1RU case, power it from 5 or 12 V
to (+/-15V 30mA) DC/DC converter (Farnell have some good Murrata dc/dc for cheap)...
http://il.farnell.com/murata-power-solutions/mea1d0515sc/converter-dc-dc-sil-1w-15v/dp/1671259
http://il.farnell.com/murata-power-solutions/mea1d1215sc/converter-dc-dc-sil-1w-15v/dp/1671264
etc.....

I still not ordered talkback combiner and phone amp boards, so, it is still possible to put dc/dc option
on board, with standard supply option from 15...24VAC 0.3A wallwart....

this unit is CRAZY, a bit like you ;-)

YAP. ME IS. :)))))))

THANX!!!
Received 2 sample pcb's for test...
Will have some time to check at friday/saturday.

Latest posts

Back