G7 with Peluso CK12 voltages?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steppenwolf

Hi guys!
Quick question. The B+ voltage in the schematic should be around 160Vdc, I was getting something higher then that, around 168V fluctuating with the mains voltage (night time, day time...). I hooked up a 158V Zener diode right after the 10K resistor in the power supply that clamps the voltage to around 158V.
Is that OK or could the diode cause trouble, noise ect..?I didn't notice any difference sound wise.

Somewhere I read that the Peluso CK12 doesn't like the full 160V. Any comments on that?

Thank you!
Best,
Stefan

i know a little but i'm no expert but i'll give this a try and perhaps some more experienced members can either confirm or correct my advice. 168V shouldn't be a problem unless the mic capsule membrane is being sucked into the backplate. if you like the way it sounded at 168V you could just leave it. if you dislike the sound or just want to compare or experiment you can alter the B+ voltage to the mic by adding  different value resistors right where you placed the diode.
i set up my B+ at around 125V because i thought it sounded better. (subjective,maybe my imagination as i never could A/B them)
i've heard some people claim that zener diodes add noise to the circuit. crank your mic up and see. my G7 is dead quiet

Cool thank you!
I just wrote Mr. Peluso and he told me he too uses 160V polarization voltage with that capsule. He also told me I could try 120V as well for more bass and a generally "softer" sound...
Best,
Stefan

"generally "softer" sound..."
probably not my imagination as thats what i thought i heard. you may prefer 160 though,only one way to find out!

Mr. Peluso and he told me he too uses 160V polarization voltage with that capsule
160V is the B+ voltage not the voltage that eventually ends up on the capsule itself. so depending on the difference in circuits ,very different,or maybe slightly different voltages and "sonic character" will result

FWIW, I found with my Peluso capsules that 60V/120V polarisation seemed about right, in a G7-ish circuit.

I got some odd noise issues when I went up beyond 70/140V, which I believe were capsule related.

Back