Beis AD24QS 192khz/24 bit ADC kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[/quote]
No prob, can you suggest kind of material you want to hear
[/quote]

some electronic dancemusic

I personally would request non electonic dance music - I would rather hear some single instrument, say an accoustic guitar or vocal and then some ensemble (like a band ) playing. I hope this does not sound like I am being too demanding and a complete dickhead. Its just hard to hear clearly what is going on with very compressed sounds which are akin to doof doof music.

Thanks for this moby.

What I'm asking myself right now is: Will this beat my Aurora? And is it worth the time and effort to build a 20 I/O converter? Is it a mad idea? :) 
I don't know how the L22 relates to the Aurora, but I was never totally happy with Lynx conversion either. Like you said, it lacks some energy, and compared to higher end converters there is still some grain in the signal.

So we share sonic impressions about Lynx, but hey, L22 or Aurora are good value for money. I better like Beis, honestly but you should try to build both kits like me and decide.
And is it worth the time and effort to build a 20 I/O converter?
I still don't know what to do but not because of Beis sound. I'm afraid that I don't have so much free time to DIY  :-\

Hi Sergio

Would still love to hear some samples. I realise you are a busy man and I would hate to sound like I am being a nagging mother, just really intrigued.

Kindest

Have built DA24QS some months ago, have just built this weekend the AD24QS 192k,  and have compared to Mytek stereo 192k,  have compared that re-recording a track through Beis DA,  to Mytek AD and Beis AD. I´ll upload samples as soon sa posible. I just can´t say that my impression is that none are really neutral. I built the flagship option, and to me sounds very "LM4562",  I want to try another opamp less hi fidelity, like to OP2134 and see what happen..

I just can´t say that my impression is that none are really neutral
Compared to Mytek or you want to say that every piece of gear has some kind of charachter including Mytek?  ???

Moby said:
I just can´t say that my impression is that none are really neutral
Compared to Mytek or you want to say that every piece of gear has some kind of charachter including Mytek?  ???

I want Uwe listen to the samples before a post it here, so have little patiente,  sometimes he delay some days in answering.

Regarding the kind of character I think so. But on ADs the diferences are very low, and have to hear several times to find out the diference.
 I think that there is some type of tricks here. Asking Uwe about the performance of his AD he often replies with full technical data and measurements of what and what don´t can be audible, noise floor, jitter etc. I think his AD is very clinical, so I think he do his AD to be as riable to the input signal as posible and considering the margin of what can be audible or not. In fact,  Beis AD has much less noise floor than Mytek but hearing both I don´t apreciate no one has more noise or more jitter than the other, just hear diferences in sound like usually we hear when trying diferent opamps in preamps. For example, "smoth,fat, bigger, high end, low end".
 The diferences between ADs are very tiny, but I my impression is that I prefer one or other for nor for technical data, but for diferent taste, but even they seem neutral.
 My conclusion is that the audio chain is not complete without our ears and brain.  Just scope-device-scope is not enough.

Edit:  Regarding "the trick" just note that opening the Mytek top and having a look to find out the analog section I find three little chips with the top surface scraping, so at least, there are three mysterious little chips there, strange if just go for "neutrality".

I still don't understand... You claim that both Beis and Mytec sounds good but not identical to analog signal? Hmm, of course that it's not identical but you must include DAC error too.
Edit:  Regarding "the trick" just note that opening the Mytek top and having a look to find out the analog section I find three little chips with the top surface scraping, so at least, there are three mysterious little chips there, strange if just go for "neutrality".
hmm, I hate this because it leads me think it's something cheap but good sounding like ne5534 ;)

Moby said:
I still don't understand... You claim that both Beis and Mytec sounds good but not identical to analog signal? Hmm, of course that it's not identical but you must include DAC error too.
hmm, I hate this because it leads me think it's something cheap but good sounding like ne5534 ;)

The only thing I know is that the AD works with 5V,  I have thought about the PGA2500 or any other similar. Don´t know but Mytek doesn´t have voltages like +/-12V. Only 5V.

I believe that Michal at Mytek uses Linear Tech opamps. He does scrape the label off the top of the IC's. I have a Stereo192 ADC. He uses pretty high-quality WIMA coupling caps. Compared to other commerically-available converter boxes, I believe the Mytek to be better and more neutral. But how neutral is neutral? Well, that's a good question. I have met Michal more than once. He is a great guy. He lives in NYC. I don't know why he scrapes the IC labels off. That's his business. DW.

Back