MXL 603 Capsule Adapter for AKG CK series and Bayonet Style

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiophreak

Hi All,
This is my second post here, and I apologies if this is not the correct place for this.
I have made an Adapter that screws on the MXL 603 mic body and allows you to use any AKG CK series capsule or any Bayonet style capsule, Blue,Red, Neumann etc.
I have attached pictures and want to know if anyone is interested in purchasing these adapters. They are made of Stainless steel, delrin insulator and a brass or beryllium/copper certer contact.
Cost would be $36 each , shipping INCLUDED.
I have used all the capsules pictured with my Modded 603's and they sound AWESOME !  ;D

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiophreeek/MXL603CapsuleAdapter#

This post is to see if there is any interest, will figure out how to place possible orders in the Black Market later.
Thanks,
Chip

Hi All,
  Thanks for the kind words.  I will talk to the machine shop on Monday to see how long it would take to make 25-30 of these and post back on Monday night.

Thanks,
      Chip

oh yes I'd take at least one.
maye we should list the compatible mics:
microphonedeals bicmic  should work too.
it's the schoeps citcuit isn't it ?

nicholas

but I'd be even more interested in a adapter for gefell sdc's this capsules are very good but the amplifier I don really like

nicholas

Hi All,
  Had to work late today, couldn't make it to the machine shop, sorry....but have made arrangements to go there tomorrow, will post back then.

apologies,
            Chip
:-\

I'd be interested in two. That's a clever design!

As nicholas said, it would be great to have a list of compatible capsules.

Hi,
  The compatible capsules are any AKG CK series capsules, CK1,CK2,CK4,CK5,CK8,CK9,CK22,CK26,CK28... . and any Bayonet style capsule, Neumann M7,M8,M9, and B.L.U.E. or RED Bayonet style capsules, and I think Violet had a Bayonet style capsule, or the B.L.U.E. and RED " Lollipop" capsules that were made to fit AKG CK series Mics, 451, C60,C61, C28.
  As far as other mic body's, any mic body that has the same diameter and thread pitch as the MXL 603s, it should fit, but you would have to check and see if it has the same center contact pin set-up as the MXL 603s.

Hope that clears up a few things, and thanks again for the kind words.

Chip
;D

Hi again,

Nicholas, I dont know anything about the " Bicmic" and the Mod I did on my 603s was a take-off of sorts from the the Royer Mod. I copied the circut out of my AKC C60 and used the N60 PSU to test the mic. Then built its own PSU , one with the Lundall Trans that David Royer spec'd and one with a C60 trans made by Oliver at AMI.

Here are some Pics of the MXL 603s and 2001s I modded

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiophreeek/MicModEdit#

Thanks,
        Chip

;D

I'd be in for one adapter.

I just looked at yr 2001 pics.  I modded two 2001's with the royer mod.  The two brown caps...if I'm remembering right they are coupling caps.  I replaced them with the two highest quality caps I could find(that could fit!!).    The mics sounded much more pleasing.  I used one Jupiter cap (beeswax) and I can't remember the other maybe an Auracap? Its at home so I'll have to open up a mic...  I'll open it up when I get home.

I got the caps from Michael Percy audio.

Hi Snooty,
    Thanks for the tip, those are " Orange Drop" Caps - ( poor color in the pics), I have not heard of "Jupiter" caps, ( I am such a Newbee ), however I have heard of "Auracap".
I am in the middle of building a pair of Gyrafs G7s, and am not putting in the " Feedback Circuit", but I wonder how those Styroflex capacitors would do in the Royer Mod circuit in the area you suggested?
any thoughts?

Thanks,
            Chip

ioaudio :that is a clever adapter!

rossi : I'd be interested in two. That's a clever design!

Thanks so much for the kind words, I have read a LOT of threads from both of you and Admire your work and designs.

Chip

;D

Hi All,

I went to the machine shop today and they said 2-3 weeks for the adapters, they need to purchase some material, they didn't have enough for 30 pieces.
  Hopefully before Christmas. I will notify here first, then make the purchase post in the Black Market section, - ( I think that's were this is done).
  I will have them make a few extra just in case.

Thanks for your support.
                                Chip
;D

Back