MXL 603 Capsule Adapter for AKG CK series and Bayonet Style

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paying on friday...just thought I would let you know so it weems like I am not paying attention...thanks for the tip on the notify service...now I gotta find some different capsules to try out  ;D

Ray

Hi All,

A couple of people have sent emails concerning the threads on the adapters.

I did in fact test all adapters on my 603s and CK1s before shipping, the Adapters are made on Stainless Steel witch is very stiff and hard,and if you look at the thread on the mic body, there are only 3 or 4 threads, so I had to make the tolerances a little snugg because there's not a lot holding the adapter on to the mic body. Same with the CK thread although in a different way, the threads there are very very fine.

I find it easier to hold the adapter steady and screw the mic body on to it, then screw the capsule on to the adapter.  Please be careful not to cross the threads. They are all a little stiff, but no one should have to crank down on them.

Sorry for the confusion,

Chip

Hi All,

Apparently there is a problem with the treads on the adapter. It seams the MXL mic body's are threaded first, then plated, the plating is over the treads, when I got the adapters from the machine shop, I tested all of them on my 603s before i shipped out, in doing so, it wore the plating off the threads on my mic body, so it will be too stiff on anyone elses.  BUMMER  I guess that's what I get for putting a quality part on a cheap Chinese mic body.
  Please send the adapters back, I have worked a solution out with the machine shop and they are making new adapters as we speak, and I will ship new ones ASAP.

If you want a refund, I completely understand, and will do so if you want on the return of the old adapters,

Sorry for the inconvenience,
                                            Chip

hmmm this doesn't seem a significant problem to me,
is there an issue with the worn plating?

foolish of mxl to plate after threading anyway...

Chip,

If you (or anyone else) wants to unload any of the "bad" batch, I'm interested in a pair (especially if they are discounted)  ;).

-Chris

Hi Bugfight,

The only issue I can think of, is that the stock capsule may not fit afterwards, although mine do, as i'm threading them on, it does seem loose.

Also, Not all the Adapters I sent out may be affected, but since you all paid for them , I would want to make it right.

Thanks,
          Chip

Hi Ray,

No I didn't ship any since the 31st, and wont untill I am certain they are correct. I thought they were as I tested them before shipping, and still got zapped.  :mad:
  I hope to have some corrected ones by the end of the week.

Thanks,
            Chip

Hi All,

Just an update:  I worked with the machine shop and made  custom taps to check both the threads on the adapters, as both threads are non-standard size they are machine cut on a CNC machine. I ordered a new pair of 603s, and they should arrive next tuesday, after I am sure they fit a brand new mic body, I will ship to all those who purchased already, and then make any others available to all others interested.
      One good thing, with the custom hardened tap I think I can chase the threads in the "tight" ones and will be good as new so more will be available.

Thanks to all for your patience and understanding,

Chip

Hi All,

Just got home from work and the new pair of 603s were at the front door.

I will bring them to the machine shop tomorrow and check the gauges on the new mics and if all is well will start shipping back to the people that have already paid.
  I will wait till they get them and hopefully they will report back that all is well, then will make the rest available to the people on the waiting list as the supply will allow.

Thanks for all your support and patience,

Chip

Hi All,

Well after spending Friday afternoon and all day Saturday at the machine shop, I can report that the new casings/shells test good on the new 603s, and we made SS gauges in GO/No-Go sizes to check each adapter on so as not to wear out the mic body's.

Assembly of insulators and contact pins on Monday, should ship on Tuesday.

Lesson learned    ;)

Thanks for you patience and support,
                                                      Chip

Hi All,

Happy to report that all the adapters are assembled, both threads are perfect and tested on mics.

They are all packaged and will be shipped out tomorrow.    ;D

Thanks for you patience,
                                  understanding,
                                                      and support,

Chip

Hi All,

I have shipped a few out to those who shipped the old ones back, I will wait for a report back from them that hopefully all is good, then ship the rest.

I apologies for the delay, but want to make sure its right.

Thanks again for your paitence and understanding,

Chip

Hi All,

A couple of pairs got to a couple of members on the other forum and have reported that the new batch is fine and all fit well.

may I say a big PHEWWwww  :D  :D  :D

I'll be picking up the rest of the batch on Saturday and ship them on Monday, I will post back after I have shipped all that have already paid, and then post the waiting list, hopefully the others will report the same.

Thanks again for your patience and support.
                                                                    Chip
:D

Back